Solved

Trouble using a flow to update $source field

• 18 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I recently updated the name of my website’s main pop up sign up form to be more intuitive. I also changed the $source value that clicking the “subscribe” button assigns to the new customer profile to match this form name.

However, I have about 5000 customers who subscribed to my mailing list through this form before I updated the $source value. I am now trying to update the $source value of these old customers to the newer $source value.

First, I created a list that contains just the profiles with the old $source value.

I then tried to create a flow for this list to go into that would update the existing $source value property, but I’m running into an issue. When I select $source as the property to update, it shows me the list of all the $source codes across all of my customers, but I can only select the numerical ones. Is there any where to be able to select the text codes? I am hoping to update these profiles to the code “Home Page Pop Up.”

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 18 January 2024, 23:36

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @jobrien 

Welcome to the Community! Happy to help!

Our $source values reference back to a number within our system. This is gone over here:
Source value reference

I would suggest updating the profiles by exporting only the emails from the affected list. Adding a column in the CSV file with the updated source. The file would look like first header email, second header source. Then you can re-import the CSV into a new list and it will update the profiles. Once completed you can delete the list, this will not delete the profiles.
How to import profile properties using a CSV upload

We definitely understand that this does require some more work, so I'm happy to provide this as feedback to our product team. Hope this helps!

Badge +1

Great, that sounds like a decent work around for now. Once I have my edited CSV file with the correct $source value, do I just make a brand new list just as a way to upload the information? Then after the upload finishes, can I delete this list? If I delete the list will the updated source property stay across all of these profiles?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @jobrien 

Sorry for the delayed response. You are correct, once the property has been updated to the profiles you can delete the list without it removing the updated property!