Solved

Unsure which condition to choose when splitting a flow.

• 28 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 1 reply

I am building a trial nurture flow for users who download demo versions of our software. We have custom events working to identify when a trial has started and that’s working well.

We offer different length trials and this is where I’m having trouble with the logic. At some point in the flow, I want to change the delay based on the trial length (we offer 14 day and 90 day trials).

We are capturing the data for the trial length, so I can target them. But when looking at the “what a user has done” options, they all seem like they will not filter the users correctly.

1. Since starting this flow. This would require a user to start a new trial after entering the flow, unless this also means “including the event that triggered this flow”?
  2. Over all time. This means trials a user have done in the past would impact this filter too.
  3. Between/Before/After/Etc. All the options have the same issue.

Is there a way to reference the specific action that triggered this instance of the flow? That seems like the only way to do it, other than maintaining separate flows for our different trial lengths.

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 28 November 2023, 15:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @mvs 

Thank you for posting your question in the community! If I am understanding the goals of the flow correctly, the conditional split you are inquiring about is merely meant to split users based on which trial they are currently in, which is defined as a data point within the custom event that is triggering the user into flow. 

A couple of ideas for you to explore. While this might not be ideal, you could set up two different flows, one for each trial type. The benefits of this will allow you clear control over when users are receiving different messages based on their trial, but also, give you unique data per message, to further optimize the flow based on the trial type. If you went this route, on the trigger for the flow, you’d add a Trigger Filter where you’d set the trial type as the condition to only allow users for the 14-day to enter one flow, and set up a second flow where the trigger filter will only allow users for the 90-day to enter. 

Alternatively, if you prefer to keep everything within one flow, rather than user a conditional split, you’d use a trigger split. I cannot say for sure how to configure the trigger split given you are using a custom event, but I believe this will give you the criteria you are looking for to split users into their two different tracks. 

Lastly, if anything else, if you do use the conditional split, I would simply set the timing of your conditional split to be based on the duration the user has been in the flow when they reach that step. In the example you posted, there is a 7-day wait after they receive the first message and before they receive the second message. So, you’d want to set conditional split to:

What someone has done: Trial Activation

Where: trial_duration

Equals: P14D

At least once

In the last 7-8 days

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox 

Badge

Alternatively, if you prefer to keep everything within one flow, rather than user a conditional split, you’d use a trigger split. I cannot say for sure how to configure the trigger split given you are using a custom event, but I believe this will give you the criteria you are looking for to split users into their two different tracks. 

Hey @In the Inbox I was wondering about this. Does trigger split mean it will split users based off the original trigger? Because that sounds exactly like what I want.