Solved

User's position in queue

• 5 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

I’m creating a flow where users enter and know their position in a queue.

For this first step, i just need to show a number to the user. And I need this number to increase everytime a new user comes in.

Do you see a way for me to do that ?

Thanks,

Laurent

icon

Best answer by Bobby 5 March 2024, 11:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Laurent,

That’s a great question and interesting use case.

At the moment, I’m not aware of a method within Klaviyo that would allow you to track and assign an increasing number count to a user’s profile as they enter a flow.

The best approach I can think of would be to assign that number to the user at the point of eligibility/sign-up and trigger a custom event to that user’s profile. This event would also be used to trigger the flow.

An example would be a landing page where users are prompted to register and guarantee a place in a queue (e.g. for a product drop). When they click “submit”, an API call could be made to the database/table where these registrants are stored to return what number row they are in the table. This would be their number in the queue.

That number would need to be dynamically included as a property (e.g. “queue_number”) within the custom event (e.g. “Registered for Product Drop”). You could then insert this number dynamically into the email template using event personalization.

I understand the above is requires technical development and might not be feasible depending on the resources available. However, I’m sure there are developers within the Klaviyo partner community that could perhaps assist in developing the above.

Curious to hear what other ideas folks in the community might have :)

Cheers,
Bobby

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

I think @Bobby method makes the most sense, if you can handle the queue ordering on your side with a lightweight database application that tracks their ID position and updates it as a Custom Property in their Profile via the “Update Profile” API.

Another way to do this is possibly with a third party middleware like Zapier with Google Sheets and Webhooks.  You can use Webhooks by Zapier to “Catch a Webhook” from a Klaviyo Webhook within the List Triggered Flow.  You can then add the user to a Google Sheet (or any Zapier supported Database) and then subsequently retrieve the “Queue #” and add it back into the Profile via a Zapier Klaviyo Update Profile.  If you do this, just make sure to put some time delays to minimize any race conditions between Klaviyo and Zapier. 

Even though this doesn’t technically require technical capabilities, it’s still fairly complex but thought I offer it as an alternative way to explore.