Solved

Using "and" or "or" in a trigger filter for a flow

• 23 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I wanted to include an email in my welcome series flow that offers subscirbers an exclusive discount to a product pre-order - BUT - I want to exclude people who have already purchased this product. (Because they’ll be bummed to have missed out on the discount). 

• For whatever reason, I can’t preview a trigger filter for an email in the welcome series. (I can only preview the main trigger). 

This product has 4 variants. 

Would the trigger filters (for that specific email) be: Example 1

+ What someone has done or not done 
    + Ordered Product
    + Where: Variant Name
    + Equals: “Hemp”
    + zero times
    + over all time

AND

+ Ordered Product
    + Equals: “Denim”
    + zero times
    + over all time

• Or would the trigger filters (for that specific email) be: Example 2

+ Ordered Product
    + Equals: “Hemp”
    + zero times
    + over all time

OR

+ Ordered Product
    + Equals: “Denim”
    + zero times
    + over all time

Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by Bridget Paulus 23 March 2021, 20:01

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi Nikki!

Happy to help with this. In general, AND means someone must meet every condition, whereas OR means someone must meet only one of the conditions. (This doc on AND vs. OR has more details.)

For your case, it sounds like you want to use AND, as that will exclude everyone who has purchased the variant named “Hemp” as well as those who have purchased the product named “Denim”. Only those who have never bought either of those products will enter the flow.

Since OR means only one condition needs to be true, using OR would mean that someone could enter the flow if they purchased Denim and they didn’t purchase Hemp (or vice versa).  

Hope that helps!

P.S. One thing to note is that “equals” means the variant name must match exactly what you have in full, so here, the variant name must be “Hemp” exactly. If you want to include all products with the word “Hemp,” I recommend using “Contains” instead. 

Badge +2

Ohh i gotcha - 

So, if I use AND it’s not like the flow will exclude all customers who’ve purchased Denim AND Hemp (like bought both products) but rather it will exclude all customers who’ve bought Denim AND exclude all customers who’ve bought Hemp. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

Badge +2

@Bridget Paulus also, am I correct about the “zero times” filter?

Thanks again

Badge +2

Yes on both counts!

You can think of the “zero times” filter as “has not done X.” In this case, it’s saying has never ordered (the product) Hemp/Denim.