Solved

Welcome email flow is behaving erratically!

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 1 reply

I’ve set up a welcome email flow. It has a total of 3 emails. The list to which the sign-up form is connected has a double opt-in.

Here’s what it looks like:

- User enters email id in this form in exchange for the 10% discount code

Once the user confirms their subscription they’re entered into the list connected with the sign-up form

The welcome flow:-

1. Trigger (When someone is added to a list)
  2. First email: Welcome email (With a 10% discount code)
  3. Time delay (I set it at 2 mins to test out the flow)
  4. Conditional split (If someone has not ordered in 30 days)
  5. If Yes (Receives an email with a discount code + Brand story) - Second Email
  6. If No (Receives an email with just Brand story and no discount code) - Second Email
  7. Last email: Contains Customer testimonials
  8. Flow ends

Here are the issues I’m facing:

1. The time delay is not working correctly. Sometimes I’m getting a 10 min delay instead of a 2 min delay that I’ve set.
  2. The entire flow worked correctly twice but each of those times the emails were sent in random order to the recipient. The last email was sent second, the first email was sent last and the second email was sent first. Don’t know why this is happening.

Funny thing is the status under the analytics is showing as ‘delivered’ and which in fact is true. The emails were delivered but in random order.

Please help me solve this irritating problem.

icon

Best answer by retention 2 May 2024, 01:57

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

@LuV - welcome to the community!

Check the Recipient Send Times (of each message) by going to each of the messages in the Flow, then click on “View Details” :

See here:

Then click on Recipient Activity (top tab), then Recipients.

To the right you’ll see all the different send time (my test account doesn’t have any sends). 

Compare your inbox timestamp with those timestamp, as I suspect your 2 min time delay could be a bunch of factors external to Klaviyo:

• How fast your email system updates/retrieves email (does your email client refresh, push/pull?)
  • How long sometimes email bounces around the internet (relays) before getting to you.  Sometimes network outages, retries, or re-routing happens.

If those still look out of order or sync, try a slightly longer wait time to be a bit more forgiving.

You may also want to check https://status.klaviyo.com/ to see if you happened to be doing a test during a hiccup in their infrastructure.

I’m not giving Klaviyo Engineers any free passes here since they do let you set wait times in the minutes (if they can’t handle it, why is it an option?) but they have a highly distributed environment (hundreds/thousands of different servers) that sends out billions of emails - so things can be queued up or piped up based on system resources.  

Let us know if pulling back to 5 or 10 minutes makes everything properly in sync!

Badge

Thanks for a detailed reply man.

I actually tried with a little longer wait time of 1 hour and the automation triggered just fine. All the emails were sent on time except the last one which was still sent 45 mins late.

So I guess the automation should work fine with the wait time set to ‘Days’.

You’re right.

2 minutes a bit much for Klaviyo and they should not give an option to set such lower wait times.