Question

What should my revenue be by flow?

Badge

Hi everyone,

Here is what I am NOT asking: what % of my total revenue should come from email?

Here is what I AM asking: within Klaviyo, what is the breakdown of revenue by flow…?

This is where I am at today...in the last 30 days I have made $12,000 from my welcome series, but just $1,200 from campaigns…

I have 12 flows running, but almost all the revenue coming in is from the Welcome Series...everything else is negligable…

Can others who are further along please tell me what is normal?!

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @taylorchristopher - welcome to the Klaviyo community!

This is a great question, and definitely something that’s useful to understand as you prioritize where you focus effort with your email marketing. 

For the most part, the ratio of your email marketing revenue that’s generated by flows vs. campaigns will fluctuate depending on how many campaigns you send per month. However, the total number of flows you have running also impacts this. 

In general, you’ll notice flows tend to generate more revenue than campaigns. This has a lot to do with the fundamental act of responding to an action your customer has taken (like signing up to your emails) or a lack of action they’ve taken (like abandoning a cart).

The flow sends a relevant email, at a relevant time, that’s guided by the customer’s behavior. In contrast, most campaign emails will be sent with timing that you manually decide, regardless of what a customer has recently done/ not done. 

So what you’re witnessing with your Welcome Series flow generating majority of the revenue is a healthy dynamic to have! That should continue to be one of your top-performing flows as you build out more.

Eventually, it’ll balance out so you might see a dynamic like 60% of your monthly email revenue coming from flows, with 40% coming from campaigns. It could also get closer to 50/50 - all depends on where you focus your effort.

Klaviyo resource

If you’re wanting more context on how other brands in your industry perform, this Klaviyo report with email marketing benchmarks will be helpful. https://www.klaviyo.com/marketing-resources/email-benchmarks-by-industry

To help you prioritize future flow building

My agency starts with a system we call the Core 4 when building flows for a client that’s just getting started with Klaviyo. In this community article, I outline what those flows look like, and give recommendations to help you prioritize which ones get launched first. 

Happy to chat further if you have more questions!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Badge

That’s very helpful - thanks for the link and your time!