Solved

When is a product no longer "recently viewed" - ?

• 20 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

We are currently using a Recently Viewed Product feed; can anyone tell me when a product is no longer considered recently viewed?

For context, we just created one product feed for customers who have viewed products, and another for those who have not. The logic I’m using for customers who have viewed product is
person.ViewedItems|length >= 1
However, this includes customers who haven’t viewed a product in a long time, so the items they see end up being the fall back content.

I’d like to add logic to the statement so that it would only show to customers who actually have recently viewed products, something like:
person.ViewedItems|length >= 1 and person.ViewedItems|[within last 30 days]
However, I can’t find any documentation that tells me if this is possible, and what the logic would actually look like.

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 21 November 2023, 19:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @JessFosnough 

Fantastic question, hope I can help.

A “recently viewed product” doesn’t expire. Meaning, if someone viewed a product a year ago, and you use the product.vieweditem syntax, it’ll still call that item that was viewed a year ago. That’s because in addition to a metric/event, the “recently viewed product” section is actually like a custom profile property that gets saved as well. I.E. there’s some backend magic that translates the viewed item event as a special profile property storing the image and product details.

What you may want to do is use flow filters to qualify a user like “viewed product equals 1 in the last X days” to show the email to recent site visitors only. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

Hi @stephen.trumble,
Thanks for your reply! It makes sense to me that recently viewed products don’t expire. I think the problem I have is that I’m not currently using the viewed product metric within a flow, but in a campaign. Because the email isn’t triggered by an event, it doesn’t necessarily show the most recent products viewed. Thanks for your help!