Solved

Different coupon code each time flow completed

• 7 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have a flow that sends customers a Klaviyo coupon code each time they purchase a specific product.

The problem is that customers receive the same dynamic coupon code (eg {% coupon_code ‘Discount’ %} ) each time.

Is there any logic (either in the flow, or (ideally) in the email template) to count how many times the customers has purchased the trigger product or completed the flow and display the correct coupon code eg. {% coupon_code ‘Discount_1’ %} for the first time completing the flow, {% coupon_code ‘Discount_2’ %} for the 2nd time etc.

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 9 March 2022, 02:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @TheSuburbs,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Hope I can help with a solution to your question.

For some info:

Klaviyo's dynamic coupon codes will provide the same code in all emails of the Flow! As long as you refer to the same coupon in each flow, the code will be the same as long as the code is not expired. A new code would only be sent if the initial code expires. For example, using the same {% coupon_code 'Welcome10' %} tag in Emails 2 and 3, Klaviyo will automatically insert the same unique code that was previously issued to the recipient. The exception is if the code has already expired, in which case we will issue a new one. Unfortunately, Klaviyo does not track coupon redemption. Using a filter for a placed order event would be the best option.

For reference, this is explained here: Use Your Coupon in a Flow Email 

If you use the same coupon tag within multiple flow messages, the recipient will receive the same unique code each time until the code expires.

Maybe an alternative you could try is to add a last step in Flow #1 of the sequence to update profile property to “has completed flow 1” and then you could have another flow that targets those with that property only. From there you could attach a new discount code.

I will investigate further and let you know what I come up as well,

Alex

Badge +1

Hi @alex.hong  @TheSuburbs 

Interesting read, thanks for the advice. 

Any further advice on this, having the same issue where we have a 10% birthday code. If someone has used it it still sends the same code the following year.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @HShah ,

I can confirm that when using the same coupon in several emails in a flow, if the coupon in question has not expired by the time the next email is queued, the same unique code would be sent by Klaviyo. If the coupon has expired by the time the next email is queued, a new one would be generated. 

In a flow, a person can only receive one unique coupon code per coupon. If you resend an email to one of your customers using the same coupon, they will receive the same unique coupon code with the same expiration date.

You can read more on this here: Set up Coupon Code Reminders