Solved

Welcome Offer Email with Discount Code

• 8 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi there,

I have setup a pop-up promotion to capture email addresses and offering a 20% discount

https://hangoversecret.com

Firstly, is there a way to make sure that anyone who is already a subscriber / customers cannot use the same email address to get an offer?

Second, I want to send an email to the person with the same discount code they get on the screen during the sign-up process. 

Not only is there not an option to add a discount code to the email body. But there isn't a way to make sure its the same code.

Here is the flow I am using

Third, I receive an email asking me if I wanted to subscribe to this list - where did the email come from? Is this a Shopify thing or a Klaviyo thing? How do I turn it off?

Thanks in advance for your help

icon

Best answer by Dov 9 July 2022, 00:35

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @mrjoemorgan,

Thanks for sharing this question with us.

If you’re using a list or segment-triggered flow, a user can only move through this flow one time. So if you’re only using this coupon in this flow, then even if the user signs up a second time, they will not move through this flow a second time and thus also won’t receive the discount a second time. 

Also, as long as the coupon hasn't expired, and you're using the same coupon tag, the customer will receive the same unique code again. You can see our Guide to Using Coupon Codes in Klaviyo for more information. Here’s the snippet from that article that speaks to this point: “One person can only receive 1 unique coupon code per coupon. If you resend an email to 1 of your customers using the same coupon, they will receive the same unique coupon code.” For example, say your coupon code is set to expire in 10 days. The user signs-up receives that code, then the customer is immediately queued-up for the flow (the same day) and that same code is re-used in the flow, they will see the same coupon twice (once in the form and once in the flow).

Lastly, that does appear to be a Klaviyo double-opt in email. You can find instructions on disabling it below:

Thanks for being a community member.

Badge +1

Hey Dov,

Thank you for your reply.

So I just did a test. I signed up using the form and got my 20% discount code, used it on a purchase and checked out. Order confirmed. 20% discount.

I then went back, and signed up AGAIN using the same email address, got a NEW discount code, used it on a purchase and checked out. Order confirmed. 20% discount.

At the moment, people can use the same email address over and over again to get unlimited 20% discount coupons. 

Surely there is a function / setting to say: “IF email address already in system OR already used coupon, do not give new coupon OR share old coupon code if not used” 

Thanks

Joe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @mrjoemorgan,

Thanks for your follow-up reply.

Can you confirm the source of the coupon codes? For example, if the first code you used was pulled from the sign-up form and the second was the discount code sent from the flow? Or if you pulled both codes from the sign-up form or both from the flow.

There is an option on the signup form under “Targeting & Behavior” to “Don’t show again after submit form or Go to URL action” that will prevent the form from showing again to a user who previously filled the form. That is the equivalent to “if the email is already in the system” do not display this form again containing the code.

Badge +1

Hey @Dov

Thanks again for your reply. 

So I only have one discount campaign right now, its called “First Order Discount” under the Sign-up Forms section.

Attached are the screenshots of the settings. 

The issue is, if someone removes cookies, does it on their phone, the “Don’t show again after submit form or Go to URL action” will not work.

Honestly I am GOBSMACKED that the very basic functionality around coupons, to say: “IF email address already in system OR already used coupon, do not give new coupon OR share old coupon code if not used” 

Every other platform I have used, takes this approach. Like, why aren’t Klaviyo including that feature? Its like a car without a steering wheel, its just dumb

Thanks again for your help

Joe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @mrjoemorgan,

Thanks for the update here.

In theory, regardless of what medium you’re using for the unique coupon code (signup form vs. flow) if it’s the same coupon, it shouldn’t be dispatching a new unique code unless the original code had expired (like what I mentioned in my original reply). 

I’ll go back to clarify the last line of my reply, the option on the sign-up form to “Don’t show again after submit form or Go to URL action” that will prevent the form from showing again to a user who previously filled the form, perhaps “if the email is already in the system” was not as deep an analogy as I should have made. To better explain it, once the unique coupon code (again regardless of the medium) is issued to the email address, it “lives” at the profile level. By assigning the coupon at the profile-level, that’s really the way we know the coupon is “in the system” for this user.  Based on what you’re saying that wasn’t the case, so my guess is either the coupon expired sometime between your tests (I would double-check the settings on the coupon for the expiration date set) or you should have this looked at more closely by our support team. If the coupon hasn’t expired and your seeing two different codes for the same coupon, that would be a bug they’d need to investigate further.

I hope that’s helpful.

Badge +1

Hey @Dov 

Thanks again for your reply.

Screenshot below of the coupon setup. The coupon did not expire, and I did the test within 10 minutes of each other.

So whilst the “Don’t show again after submit form or Go to URL action” does work if the user is on the same machine + browser, in my test I did it in a different browser and was able to sign up 5 minutes later with the same email address and get a new codes/coupons.

If the coupon/code is assigned to the profile, using an email address, why is there not an option for it says “only 1 code per email?” 

I was using automizely before, and they have this option. They also have the option to email the SAME code to the email address, which is another thing I cannot work out how to do with Klaviyo. The only reason I moved away from automizely was the ability to have more control over the design of the emails. 

I think a call with someone from the customer support team would be ideal, as this is not making any sense. Everyone claims that Klaviyo is the best marketing app for Shopify but I just cannot understand how this basic functionality is so hard? 

Thanks again

Joe