Solved

How to identify users across subdomains?

• 15 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hey,

I have an issue identifying users in subdomains. I know that the topic has already been raised a couple of times and I have already read this article, but I can't apply the solution suggested there to my problem, because there are  no <a> elements or links that I could enrich with the _kx parameter. The routing is done via js functions.

What I have tried so far is rewriting the _kla_id cookie for the subdomain or primary domain when it was already set. This seem to work but I am a little worried about edge cases that I may have not covered. Any advice on this?

Is it possible to persist the exchange_id other than attaching it to a link and then use it in another identify call on the next (sub)domain? 

Thanks,
Tristan

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 16 March 2023, 21:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @THahn!

I’m glad you found that workaround for now, but I’m not totally sure if it’s possible to persist the exchange_id in the way you want - however, I will check with Engineering to confirm if there are any other solutions. I’ll update the thread as soon as I learn more.

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @THahn,

I spoke to Engineering, and it turns out that while we typically recommend the solution outlined in the other community post, it may help to know that we have the following API endpoints that you could theoretically use to create a workaround:

From there you can use the first endpoint to exchange a user’s session ID for a profile ID, and then use the second endpoint to exchange a Profile ID for a profile's email address, which you can use to identify the user.

That said, this would be a custom integration so there’s only so much we can do to support - but I hope this helps get you started!

- Brian