Solved

Abandoned Carts - Better to show discount code in a sign-up form or send in an email flow?

• 16 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi Community! 

I have had this question posed to me a few times recently, and was curious to get some input from my peers here. 

My go-to approach when it comes to Abandoned Carts is to enable an exit-intent pop-up on the cart page. This would display an incentivized message to encourage would-be customers to complete their purchase. After submitting the form, subscribers would then receive an email with a dynamic coupon code they could use to finish checking out. Reminder emails would also be sent to those who did not yet return to the site to complete their purchase.

Now that Klaviyo allows us to display dynamic coupon codes in sign-up forms, do you find that this is a better approach for than sending the code via automated flow after submitting the form?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

-- Ashley Ismailovski

icon

Best answer by Spark Bridge Digital LLC 16 August 2023, 21:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

I totally go inbetween the two different methods!

If an account is worried about deliverability and their emails having a bit of a spam issue. Having those contacts head to their inbox to grab that welcome code can be a method for boosting engagement early on.

But if conversions are the focus, then I say promo-code right in the pop-up with it being hyperlinked to auto-apply the code right into their cart once clicked (if Shopfiy). Take as many steps away from the person a possible is my goal for that one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

@Spark Bridge Digital LLC Appreciate the insights!!

I find that, lately, my only determining factor has been whether or not my client is using double opt-in. I’ve had it happen where a coupon code is shown in a pop-up, but the subscription is never confirmed in the inbox - which we definitely want to avoid. 

Deliverability is definitely another important factor to consider!

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Ashley I.  Definitely ditto to what @Spark Bridge Digital LLC  said. 

Showing the coupon right away is likely to convert better, but you also want to train subscribers to open and click emails from the jump. 

In most cases, it depends a bit on the business and how much support they need in one area or another. 

For checkout abandonment specifically, I would likely lean toward presenting the coupon right away (as long as double opt-in isn’t on) and then rely on the post-purchase flow to start engaging with them. 

You could also A/B test it with two different success pages on the form. One with the coupon and one telling them to go to their email. Submit a different hidden profile property so you know who got which and you can compare conversion and email engagement rates. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

@Jessica eCommerce Badassery Thank you for the thoughtful insights!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi all! 

I have loved the collaboration here! Thanks for popping to share your insights @Spark Bridge Digital LLC and @Jessica eCommerce Badassery got some great partner advice shared here! 

@Ashley I. I also raised this question to our product analyst team and this is something they will investigate! 

-Taylor

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Thank you @Taylor Tarpley !!