Solved

Best email width for Outlook Mobile App on ios?

• 29 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hi Klaviyo Community! I work on newsletters for a company and am seeing some issues with rendering in the mobile outlook app.

The email is currently set to a total width of 600px. There are two columns and each is set to 300px wide. Though they are the same widths, the images show up uneven in the outlook mobile app on ios (the image in the right column displays much larger than left, making the left column image smaller with space from the bg color on the top and bottom to fill the space.) I tried using percents instead of a pixel width and saw the same issue. I have tried some smaller pixel widths and those are looking better.

Does anyone know the set width be for emails in mobile to display correctly in the outlook mobile app? (Also, is there a way for percents to work for outlook in mobile?) Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by David To 29 July 2021, 21:43

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @sm1820,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

The standard recommended email width is 600px as you have set. Emails rendering differently on Outlook clients is an industry wide issue as detailed in the My Email Looks Different When Viewed in Microsoft Outlook Help Center Article. Essentially, Outlook uses Microsoft Word to render HTML/CSS which may cause your emails to appear slightly off. 

I would also suggest taking a look at the actual image sizes you are placing side by side to ensure that the images you are using are of the same dimensions in width and height. If one of the images has a larger height than the image next to it, when Klaviyo automatically optimizes these images when placed next to each other to fit into the 300px column, the image may get shrunken. I’ve touched upon this subject in a similar Community post which I’ve included below for your review:

In addition, I would also suggest taking a look at the Optimal Email Template Width and How to Use Images in Emails Help Center Articles as other resources to learn more about images best practices within Klaviyo. 

I hope this helps!

David