Solved

body is missing the custom_message drop

• 10 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

When Im trying to paste and save the code snippet that was created via the Klayvio email templates, into my Shopify Abandoned cart email body, I get this error “body is missing the custom_message drop”

Reached out to Shopify support and they say it is from Klayvio’s side and has to be resolved by them.

Anyone can help with this, please?

icon

Best answer by retention 11 January 2021, 08:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Curious, why are you using the Shopify Abandonment email instead of doing it in a Klaviyo flow?

Badge +2

hmm, well I have been doing like this with my other stores as well, and has been working fine, so nothing special :) 

So what is your thought about the issue I have atm? :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@Ferdous 
I’ll have to agree with @Manny Singh here. Using Klaviyo Flows to send Abandoned Checkout emails has many more advantages than using Shopify’s Abandoned Checkout feature.
Several of them here:
- You can send more than 1 email.
- You can add conditional branching.
- You can use Klaviyo’s template builder for quick edits without touching the source code.
- You can use the engagement data (Opened, Clicked, etc.) from the sent emails to track and/or improve your emails.
- You can easily implement A/B testing for content and Subject Line which can lead to increased performance.
- And many more situational scenarios.

As for your immediate problem, you need to add the {{ custom_message }} tag at the very top of your code in Shopify. This should resolve the error you’re getting, but you will start seeing other errors, and here is why. Although the HTML/CSS part is being handled the same in Klaviyo and Shopify, the dynamic functions’ syntax that should pull the product/cart information can be different from platform to platform. If you absolutely want to stick with Shopify for sending the Abandoned Checkout emails, I recommend hiring a Shopify developer that will adjust those dynamic tags/functions.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Ferdous thanks for sending the DM. 

@Manny Singh and @retention are correct in that you should be doing this work within Klaviyo and I don’t think I can answer it much better than Retention.

I will add one more benefit which is that revenue tracking in Klaviyo will be more accurate. Here is the help article on our Abandon Cart (very straightforward with Shopify).

Thank you,