Solved

Creating a Dynamic Discount

• 20 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello everyone,

Thank you for reading and replying to my topic/question.  I am trying to create a dynamic discount code (a discount, discount, and free shipping) for my newsletters, and car abandonment flow. However, 1. I don’t even see an option for dynamic discount code when I am creating a code in Shopify (view screenshot below) and 2. How would I add the automatically created code in a flow (emaill) ? I tried to edit the email content to see if there is a discount/coupon tab I can drag to the email but there isn’t that. How would I be able to configure? 

icon

Best answer by ksanfelipe 20 November 2020, 02:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi there!

You’re correct that there's no “discount” block type for your email template. Instead, you’ll want to use a text block, and insert a dynamic tag that will get replaced with a unique code at send time. 

I’d recommend reading through this doc on how to use Shopify coupons in flows: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006155388-Unique-Coupon-Codes-for-Shopify#use-your-coupon-in-a-flow-email2

Once you’ve created your coupon (Instructions here), you can use the tag {% coupon_code 'NAME_OF_YOUR_COUPON' %} to insert a code into your template.

For example, say I create a coupon called Welcome_10

In my template, I could set up something like this:

At send time, the {% coupon_code ‘Welcome_10’ %} will be replaced with a unique code.

Best,

Kalie

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello Kalie,

What if I don’t have the dynamic option to choose a generated coupon at all?

Best,

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I tried sending previews (test) emails to myself but it’s sending me the same code. Which leads me to the next question. Is there a way to format the codes can be generated from? Like how many letters and numbers etc for the coupon code?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hey David, 

You should see a blue “Create Coupon” button in the bottom right corner of the screen after you fill out the fields shown in your screenshot. If you don’t see that, please reach out to success@klaviyo.com and we will troubleshoot your specific account!

The preview email will always assign the same code to you (see here). However, the live flow will generate a new code per recipient.

We don’t currently have a way to format the codes; Klaviyo generates a random combination of letters and numbers. If you wanted to use your own custom codes, you could always use Uploaded Coupons instead!

Best,

Kalie