Solved

Creating Custom Template Tags for repeat links

• 12 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hey All!

In my CPG organization we are manually adding in links every time a product is mentioned in our emails. This gets super cumbersome, as we mention products multiple times and across multiple emails. I was wondering if it was possible to create custom template tags that would auto populate a link whenever the tag is included in the email. So I could create a library of XYZ product links as template tags. 

I’ve used other marketing automation platforms before, and this was a capability. So I wanted to check to see if it could be replicated in Klaviyo. Please let me know!

icon

Best answer by David To 12 October 2022, 20:43

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @pasarup29,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

Although Klaviyo doesn’t have this sort of capability of creating custom template tags that would auto populate a link whenever the tag is included in the email, I could think of several workarounds that may do the trick. I’m not an email designer or developer, but one solution that comes to mind is creating some sort of logic using if/elseif statements via HTML in your templates. In theory, this should allow you to create some logic like “if Product A then link website.com/productA”. 

Along the same line of thought, leveraging our catalog lookup function may be another viable route. Depending on how you were formulating the email, chances are you can code the email while using this lookup function paired with your own custom logic. Or, if you have only a small subset of items, you can set your item IDs as custom profile properties which would then allow you to lookup the ID using the catalog lookup tag. This would be similar to what I explained recently in the Community post below:

I also believe a lot of the work here can be simplified by using a universal block. This would allow you to only update one block which would be applied to many different email templates you have instead of needing to manually update several of them. 

I hope this helps! Since many of these workarounds involve custom work, if you need hands-on assistance, I would suggest contacting some of our wonderful accredited Klaviyo Partners who can help you along. 

David