Question

Does Klaviyo support BIMI?

• 23 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Have any Klaviyo users successfully implemented BIMI for their brand and the logo image is displaying as expected by participating mailbox providers?

I was told by Klaviyo Support that “...the full setup of BIMI (in terms of the setup process via Klaviyo via modifying headers) are not yet supported by Klaviyo...I will happily message our product team to upvote this option as BIMI begins to increase in presence.”

So, does BIMI work with Klaviyo emails, or not?

In looking into implementing BIMI for our brand, I started a conversation with our Tech Team, sharing the necessary steps with them. After they reviewed the steps, they suggested I confirm with Klaviyo, before we proceed, that the platform supports BIMI in our outgoing emails.

Klaviyo published a help article about BIMI, but it does not explicitly state – once BIMI is properly set up per the BIMI Group / Validity step-by-step process – what we then do in our Klaviyo outgoing emails to ensure that our BIMI record is correctly and automatically looked up by participating mailbox providers. (See screenshot from Validity instructions.)

Seeing as the Validity instructions recommend asking our ESP “to determine the best way to insert the BIMI-selector header into our emails,” I submitted a ticket to Klaviyo Support about this. Based on the responses I received, Klaviyo Support is not equipped to answer questions about BIMI. I understand Klaviyo does not have “jurisdiction” over how BIMI is displayed or approved or implemented across mailbox providers, but my question was specific to how this works within our Klaviyo emails after it’s been set up.

After we’ve completed the “Pre-Work” steps and then the “BIMI Implementation” steps as outlined by Validity’s instructions, what needs to be done next in Klaviyo to close the loop on BIMI and ensure it’s going to be “read” by participating mailbox providers?

Or do Klaviyo users use the “default” selector name, whereby eliminating the need to “insert the BIMI-Selector header” into our Klaviyo emails?

Anyone have advice or first-hand experience with this in Klaviyo?

Thank you for your time!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @Brianna

Welcome to the Community! 

As you mentioned,  Klaviyo does not have any control over the image that is displayed within your customer's inboxes as it has to do with your trademark and getting a proper certificate to prove that you own (have rights) to the trademark digitally via your DNS provider, so essentially there isn’t anything left to do in Klaviyo. 

There is an interesting conversation about BIMI led by one of our Community Champions, @retention, that I think might prove helpful that I’d encourage you to check out .

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks for the reply, @Taylor Tarpley. Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions. I don’t feel like any of the info that anyone at Klaviyo has provided about this topic so far has confirmed or answered my question, though. Every response seems to be rooted in the same basic scripted response that aims to entirely remove Klaviyo from the BIMI equation. (I understand the limitations Klaviyo faces related to BIMI, but when it comes to questions related specifically to Klaviyo and anything inside the Klaviyo platform that supports the “functionality” of BIMI, I can’t seem to get a definitive answer from Klaviyo. And even when I inquired about some of this with Validity directly, they, too, directed me to ask Klaviyo.)

If we invest ~$2,000/year on a VMC, we need some kind of proof positive. I understand Klaviyo can’t make any guarantees when it comes to BIMI and how mailbox providers respond to ours, but I was really hoping that some other Klaviyo users would respond to this post, confirming that they themselves have completed BIMI implementation successfully, clarifying if they needed to modify any of the steps outlined by Validity for the purposes of Klaviyo – for instance, specifying what they did for Step 2.

Snapshot of BIMI Implementation instructions from Validity.

When you say this, @Taylor Tarpley, “...essentially there isn’t anything left to do in Klaviyo,” does that truly mean nothing needs to be done in our Klaviyo email campaigns in order for BIMI to be looked up by participating mailbox providers? Because this is listed directly in the implementation steps from Validity, it begs the question: Does anything need to be done within Klaviyo?

A question posed to other Klaviyo users: Is it an option to use the “default” selector name as identified in the BIMI instructions from Validity (see screenshot), rather than “insert the BIMI-Selector header” into our Klaviyo emails (i.e. “skip” Step 2)? Is this what other Klaviyo users have relied upon to get BIMI implemented properly?

I will repeat my original question: Does BIMI work with Klaviyo emails, or not?

Thank you.