Solved

Edit "Abandoned checkout" Email template on Klaviyo

• 19 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I am editing all the Shopify Email templates using Klaviyo. Unfortunately, not all Shopify templates are available on Klaviyo. I need to edit the “abandoned checkout” template one but I don’t know how to as it’s no available on Klaviyo. I would appreciate some advice.  

icon

Best answer by retention 19 March 2021, 18:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@Mofid.ar - In Shopify, the cart abandonment email is a single template that is sent by Shopify.  In Klaviyo, cart abandonment emails, as with all triggered emails, are done via Flows.  

The great part about using Klaviyo Flows is that you get the following super powers not in the standard Shopify message:

• Email Analytics to track opens, clicks, and revenue
  • Send more than one email if you’d like
  • Add Conditional Splits based on other behaviors
  • A/B Testing with your Subject Lines or Content

Here are some articles to get you started to learn more about Klaviyo Flows and the Abandoned Cart Flow:

I think you’ll start to see some of the possibilities with Flows as you get more familiar with how it works! Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Mofid.ar,

Looks like @retention beat me to it but yes, adding on, the reason you’re unable to update the “abandoned checkout” template is because this is not a template available for style and export to Shopify.

The templates that are typically able to be edited and exported to Shopify are notification email templates which the abandoned checkout template does not fall under.

Customers using Shopify will either choose to use the abandoned checkout email that is sent out of Shopify or will turn that email off in Shopify and use a Klaviyo abandoned cart flow (specifically using the abandoned cart flow that is titled “Abandoned Cart Reminder” with the Shopify logo which can be found in the flow section. 

In addition to the articles provided by retention, I would recommend watching this short video that covers the Flow library: Video Flow Library 

Once you add this flow from the flow library to your account, you would then edit the email templates in that specific flow which would be sent out of Klaviyo. 

Hope that decreases on the confusion!

Badge +1

Hi, great info on the thread. I notice that abandoned cart emails are not considered as transactional emails, whereas it is considered so on Shopify Email. This is why I would like to create a branded abandoned cart email through Klaviyo and export it over to Shopify. Is there any way to do so?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Mattv1,

I would be highly suspect of Shopify sending abandoned cart emails as transactional emails. Transactional emails are typically informative in nature and does not contain commercial or marketing aspects; which is the goal of abandoned cart emails where you are trying to market and persuade your customers to purchase. This distinction is defined by both CAN-SPAM and GDPR compliance. 

That said, you can certainly still use Klaviyo as a design space to create your emails that would then be exported as HTML to be imported into Shopify for use! You can export a Klaviyo template as HTML to be used on different platforms by clicking on the menu option next to the Edit button in the Email Templates tab. This will give you an option for Export as detailed in the How to Export the HTML for an Email Template Help Center article.

Keep in mind though that because both Klaviyo and Shopify uses different variable syntaxes, you’ll still be required to recode the dynamic aspects to align with Shopify’s syntaxes. Thankfully Shopify offers a glossary of their variable syntaxes you can reference from their Notification variables reference resource. 

David