Solved

Email sending isn't showing like in the preview

• 17 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

I recently started using Klaviyo and set up a flow for cart abandonment. 

I have a list of emails of people who abandoned carts before I started using Klaviyo and would like to also send them my email flows. I did this by importing the list of emails and created a campaign and sent them the same email templates I made from my cart abandonment flow.

Here’s my issue:

While the preview in the flow changes dynamically according to the event (for example, it will show in the preview the cart according to the customer I’m sending it to), when I sent my first email out to my campaign, the email did not dynamically change and the customer’s cart did not show in the email so the whole thing looked very unprofessional.

How do I resolve this issue? Is there also any way to ‘retarget’ previous customers who abandoned cart using a flow I made after?

Thanks,

Russell

icon

Best answer by David To 17 July 2021, 15:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @russell7lee,

Great questions and thanks for the explanation!

Since it sounds like you are using the abandoned cart email template and sending it as a campaign email, one thing to keep in mind is that campaign emails do not support dynamic event variables and syntaxes. Unlike flows, campaign emails do not have the capability to reference event variables and syntaxes. Flows are able to do this because flows can be triggered off of an event which would share these event’s dynamic metadata which can be referenced and dynamically displayed and pulled into an email. @k.mcevoy explains this further in a response they have made in a similar Community post here:

Because flows are automated emails that get sent in response to your customers actions, if you have an abandoned cart flow already built out and these recipients you want to send this reminder email out to has triggered the Checkout Started metric recently, you can back-populate the flow. The back-populate function allows you to retroactively add qualified recipients into a flow and receive the emails as if they were already a part of the flow when the flow occurred. You can find more details about Klaviyo’s back-populate feature and how to do so for your own flows from the following Klaviyo Help Center Articles:

Alternatively, if back-populate is not an option for you such as if the events have occurred  too long ago, I would suggest targeting these recipients with a general campaign message indicating that their cart may have expired and to return and shop again with you. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Thank you so much David, really well articulated and explained. 

Additionally, thank you for answering the final part of my question too regarding back populate.

Cheers!

Russell

Badge +2

Just another question, if I use a template that I made for a cart abandonment flow and then use it on another flow (let’s say a post purchase flow), would dynamic event variables be supported on the post purchase flow as well, in this example?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @russell7lee,

Another great question!

You would not be able to use an email template from an abandoned cart flow within a post purchase flow.

Both of these flows are triggered by different events, abandoned cart by the Checkout Started event and the post purchase by a Placed Order event, each of these flows and events would then be passing a different sets of metadata. Because your abandoned cart email template which has a dynamic table block that is referencing the dynamic syntaxes specifically for the Checkout Started event, when used in a Post Purchase flow, those dynamic syntaxes would not align and become unreadable and not rendered. To learn more about building your own dynamic table blocks and how to reference event variables and data, I would suggest taking a look at the below Klaviyo Help Center Articles:

Have a great day!

David