Solved

Errors with all Shopify templates

• 7 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Whenever I use with any of the Shopify templates from the Template Library (for example, Shopify Order Confirmation), I get the “Message displayed without tags or variables” error when trying to preview / send a test even before customizing anything on the template! This implies that there are inherent errors with the Shopify templates that Klaviyo is providing.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

icon

Best answer by David To 7 July 2023, 18:58

View original

4 replies

Badge

Hi Ashley I.,

You didn’t read my question correctly. I understand that the error message means there is invalid syntax. But why is Klaviyo providing templates that have invalid syntax in them?

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @qcurtis ,

Rest assured I do understand your inquiry 😊

Have you confirmed that the variables displayed in your template are passed from Shopify to Klaviyo? For example, if you are configuring an Order Confirmation template, is the Order Number variable from Shopify being carried over into your Klaviyo profiles?

In this case, it is not that the Klaviyo variable syntax is wrong, it is that the data may not be in your Klaviyo account, passed from Shopify, to be available for the template to pull in to display.

There was another Klaviyo user recently who encountered the same error message you received here:

I hope this helps to provide additional context!

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @qcurtis,

In addition to all those great points and suggestions @Ashley I. mentioned, are you by chance trying to preview or use those Shopify notifications templates within Klaviyo? 

The provided Shopify notification templates within Klaviyo contain Shopify specific syntax that would not be understood and rendered through Klaviyo. Instead, these templates are provided for you to export and use within Shopify - not Klaviyo. 

Because of this, if you tried to preview the email in Klaviyo, you’ll receive the Message displayed without tags or variables message. This was also previously discussed in the Community thread I’ve included below:

If you haven’t, I would further recommend taking a look through our How to personalize and export Shopify notification emails Help Center article to learn more about using the Shopify notification templates.

David

Badge

Thanks @David To! Yes, I was in fact trying to preview the Shopify templates from within Klaviyo. I exported the code to Shopify, and it is working correctly. Thank you for addressing the question and providing an explanation!