Solved

Forcing Campaign background - in Dark Mode

• 8 August 2023
  • 8 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi Everyone!

I have a question about email deliverability for Dark Mode / Dark Screens

I've searched ALL of Klaviyo online + community help, but couldn't find the answer:
Has anyone been able to troubleshoot and overcome the limitation of Klaviyo/email deliverability in dark mode by forcing a campaign to display in a certain background/block colour, regardless of the phone settings?

(yes I read Klaviyo’s best practices articles which is a bit shallow, and also threads suggested like this one.. 

Has anyone cracked the code - is there coding in the backend that can be the key to this?

We have a specific brand colour, that is neither white nor black, I’m finding the colour inversions very challenging to overcome as a marketeer! Adding a white outline to the black logo makes it look terrible!

Thanks for your insights and intelligence!

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 8 August 2023, 22:58

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Laurie StSoleil

Thanks for sharing your question with us and great investigation so far into the plethora of resources the Community can provide!

As the thread you’ve linked states, unfortunately we can’t share guarantees to ensure how a campaign will show in an inbox, especially to override individual settings of the inbox, only best practices to optimize how your campaigns can appear in dark mode. 

However, I’d love to use the power of the Community and ask some of our industry experts, aka our Community Champions to hear if there are or what other strategies they might utilize to fight against dark mode! @Omar @Spark Bridge Digital LLC @Kylie W @In the Inbox, have any contributions to share? 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @Laurie StSoleil 

What a fantastic question to post in the community!

While I don’t have any magic answers, the resources you have already reviewed and what @Taylor Tarpley has shared is the best place to start and take advantage of.

Certainly with so many different mail applications to support who interrupt it differently this can be hard to support. My recommendation here would be to review your reporting on your major mail applications used by your customer base and attempt to support their Dark Mode as much as possible. 

I look forward to hearing your outcome and wish you luck!

Kylie

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Use an image of your selected block colour as the section background. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Laurie StSoleil,

This is also helpful documentation too from Litmus!

https://www.litmus.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-dark-mode-for-email-marketers 

-Taylor 

Use an image of your selected block colour as the section background. 

YES! This is what I finally did!!

Thank you!

Klaviyo, please note this works, you should make an article / update the current one as this is a GAME CHANGER for users with dark mode!
@Taylor Tarpley @Kylie W   @Omar @Spark Bridge Digital LLC @Kylie W @In the Inbox 

I basically save an image of our background colour, added it in as a Background Image in the Section that contains the whole EDM blocks etc. See attached images! I’m very excited to have found this work-around, please share with the community!

Laurie.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Laurie StSoleil  I’m late to the party, but I have used images as background colors too. It’s literally the only way because every email provider is different and they don’t all accept the dark mode coding. 

I still like to use regular web text vs. adding it to the image, so I make sure both black and white text can be read on the background color I use. 

Hi, I’m currently trying to change the background to an image so that it is the same in dark mode, but I have been having an issue when the email is being opened in the Gmail app. The changes made to the background don’t show up, and so it looks off compared to when the email is being read in light mode. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue and knew how to solve it.

Thank you so much!

Badge +2

Hey @Seraphina K. , I’m having the same issue as yours as well despite using an image as a background. 

Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks!