How do you manage event veriables with your bilingual store?

• 31 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi! 

I’m getting used to the challenges of having a bilingual store, but I have a new issue and I would love to know what you’re doing about it. 

My Shopify is French by default and translated in English with Langify. We use the Multifeeds app to import two catalogs into Klaviyo, one French and one English. This allows me to select the English version of my products when creating a static product block or when creating product feeds used in my dynamic product blocks. However, I don’t know how to display the good language when using event variables in my browse, cart or checkout abandonment flow.

What happens most of the time is that my anglophone customers receive emails like « Hey, you left this collier rose pour chien in your cart! »

What do you do with this?

1. Do you use dynamic product blocks with product feed instead of the event variables? I think this would only allow me to have a browse abandonment as well as a added to cart flow, and no checkout abandonment flow, since the product feeds don’t allow me to select products with which a customer started a checkout.  

2. Do you display only the image and price of the product since they are the same in both languages and don’t display the name that can’t be translated? 

3. Did you find a way to edit the event variable to display the good version of the product according to the customer’s language?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and your help 😊

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @RosieClem

Thanks for asking this question as I believe it will help other international customers in your similar situation!

What I believe is happening is all your products are stored in your Shopify catalog in French which is why it’s the only language being pulled into Klaviyo via the dynamic variable. Because of this, when Shopify pulls the product information to create the placed order event, it is pulling the product title that is stored in French. Now when changing the translation of the site, this would not change the translation of the product name that was stored within the catalog, which I all assume you know as you’ve made workarounds with your static product blocks and feeds.

To offset this, I’ve seen some customers create multiple Shopify stores to allow them to store their products from different locations with different translated titles so if someone on the US store places an order for instance, the order will be in English and the variable will pull from a different product catalog. However, if you don’t want to create multiple stores, I recommend reaching out to Shopify or your developer to try and add the presentment title, shown below, to all your Shopify metrics so you can pull in the translated version of the product title, which I’ve seen many bilingual stores do too! 

{{ item.presentment_title }}

Finally, I’d check out Shopify’s international section of their Community  to learn from other international stores going through similar situation! 

Thanks for sharing this with the Community! 

-Taylor