Skip to main content
Solved

How long does it take to become compotent in email design?

• 30 May 2024
  • 4 replies

I have some previous experience in creating emails in Canva, I can create some nice designs. But I’m unsure about how effective Image based emails are vs. HTML

I would like to move over to Figma as most ecom agencies seem to use it.

Also how long would it take for me to become competent at coding the emails so that they work properly in the various email providers?

Who can I learn this from to quickly become good at it?

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi @GV123 

Unless you have a design that cannot be implemented in Klaviyo’s no-code, drag-and-drop email editor, you don’t need to resort to custom CSS/HTML coding. The editor also provides mobile optimisation including the ability to display image or text blocks on desktop-only, mobile-only, or both.

Here’s a good resource on using Klaviyo’s editor: https://academy.klaviyo.com/get-started-with-the-email-template-editor/1606867

I suggest you approach your designs as a mix of images and text, and always add alt image text to images. Not all recipients will have images set to display automatically. And ensure your image filesizes are also optimised. Here’s another good resource on all image-based emails: https://www.litmus.com/blog/why-you-shouldnt-send-image-only-emails

Hope that helps

Andy 

Badge +2

Absolutely! Image-based emails can look great and are quick to create with tools like Canva, but they may not render well across all devices and can sometimes trigger spam filters. HTML emails, on the other hand, offer more flexibility and are better at ensuring consistent rendering.

Moving to Figma is a smart choice, as it's widely used in ecommerce agencies for its collaborative features and design capabilities.

Learning to code emails can vary in time, depending on your current HTML and CSS knowledge. For quick learning, Klaviyo's Knowledge Base and community forums are great resources. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Hey there @GV123, I have quite a few tutorials on my YouTube channel breaking down email design within Figma. You can follow along with those or just see the process I do to get more familiar with it!

This is a great one to start with where I showcase how a huge brand like Lemme built their email design within Figma.

It definitely take practice, practice, practice. My favorite exercise is to search somewhere like Milled, find an email that needs some help in design, and try to create a new email for that brand! It helps you think outside the box and gives you great practice. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks @bluesnapper , @Spark Bridge Digital LLC & @NidzDesai for your answers! Very helpful!