Solved

If a dynamic coupon is used by the customer and then an email is sent with that same prefix, would a new coupon be created?

• 9 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi again!

I have a question regarding dynamic coupons on Klaviyo. The thing is that I want to send a reminder of my welcome discount, but in a different flow, i.e. browse abandonment.

The situation is that I don't want to create new coupons, I just want to remind users who received it and haven't used it that they have the possibility to do so. 

I was trying to set the "has made zero purchases using discount code XXXX" filter, but according to what I researched in other posts here in the community this doesn't work, as Klaviyo can't tell if the dynamic coupon has been used or not.

So, what I want to know is if Klaviyo considers as "expired" a coupon that was already used, since currently my welcome series codes have no expiration date. And then, if I were to send another email in a flow to people who had already used their coupon, Klaviyo would generate a new one for them, while those who haven't used it would still receive the same one? 

I'm not sure if there is a better solution to remind people about the dynamic code they received but didn’t use.😣 I hope you can help me, thanks!

icon

Best answer by Irrra 10 February 2023, 18:46

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Lorena Jaqueline,

Klaviyo does not automatically consider a coupon as "expired" if it has been used. In the absence of an expiration date, a coupon can be used multiple times until it is manually deactivated.

If you send another email in a flow to people who have already used their coupon, Klaviyo will generate a new coupon code for them, regardless of whether they have already used the original code or not. To avoid this, you can use a custom property to track whether a coupon has been used and use a segmentation condition to only send the reminder email to people who have not used their coupon.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @Irrra ! 

Thanks for adressing my question! About this 

In the absence of an expiration date, a coupon can be used multiple times until it is manually deactivated.

This apply even if I set the coupon to be used only 1 time per customer?

you can use a custom property to track whether a coupon has been used and use a segmentation condition to only send the reminder email to people who have not used their coupon.

Would it be possible to give more info on how to do this? I feel lost since they’re dynamic coupons generated by Klaviyo. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@Lorena Jaqueline 

Yes, I can certainly provide more information on how to do this with Klaviyo dynamic coupons!

Here is how you can use custom properties to track whether a coupon has been used and send the reminder email only to people who have not used their coupon:

First, you will need to create a custom property in Klaviyo to track whether a coupon has been used or not. You can do this by going to your Klaviyo account, then selecting "Profile and Fields" under the "Settings" menu.

Next, you will need to update the custom property when a coupon is used. You can do this using Klaviyo's API by sending a request to update the custom property when a coupon code is redeemed.

Now, you can create a segment in Klaviyo that includes only those people who have not used their coupon. To do this, you will use the custom property you created in step 1 as a segmentation condition.

Finally, you can use the segment you created in step 3 as the target audience for your reminder email.

About this

This apply even if I set the coupon to be used only 1 time per customer?

Yes, this applies even if you set the coupon to be used only one time per customer in Klaviyo. In the absence of an expiration date, a coupon can be used multiple times until it is manually deactivated.

If you need more specific help or have any questions, feel free to ask!😊

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thank you so much! I’ll try this way and come back if I have more questions, I really appreciate your help. 🙌🏻

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@Lorena Jaqueline 
No problem, was glad to answer you, you can always contact me either here or by mail in the profile header 🙂
Have a great day!

Badge +4

Hi @Irrra thank you for your help regarding dynamic coupons. I’m working on something very similar, but I can’t find the "Profile and Fields" section in Klaviyo, can you help me maybe with a screen shot of where it is located, thank you.