Is it possible to dynamically generate one time use coupon codes with WooCommerce?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello, Is it possible to dynamically generate a one time use coupon code in woocommerce using klaviyo. If I wanted to offer a 50% off code on someone's birthday I’d want to make sure that only they could use it and only once. But would need it to be automated. 

This topic has been closed for comments

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @biota.eco

Love the idea of sending someone a discount code on their birthday! You can find a guide on how to set this up from the Birthday Flow article.

Although at this time Klaviyo does not have the capability to generate unique coupon codes for use with WooCommerce as part of it’s integration; this does not mean you wouldn't be able to accomplish your goal! You can still use Klaviyo with a WooCommerce integration to send unique one-time use coupon codes from Klaviyo by using a third party code generator such as Voucherify.io or any other code generator app you wish to use to pre-emptively generate these codes and upload them to Klaviyo and WooCommerce for use. With these codes already generated, you can upload them to both Klaviyo and WooCommerce for use. This way when you recipients are served one of these pre-generated coupon codes from Klaviyo, they would still be usable within WooCommerce. You can find instructions on how to create and upload these coupons to both Klaviyo and WooCommerce from the below articles:

Let me know how this goes!
David

Userlevel 7
Badge +43

@biota.eco another way around this would be to create a discount code in Woocommercethat can only be used once per recipient and i.e. change it monthly.

Badge +2

Hi @david.to,

Any news related to the generation of unique and dynamic coupon codes for use with WooCommerce ?

Is it something that we can hope to see in the future, or as you mention, this is a limitation of Woocommerce and then, it will be never possible to have this option integrated within Klaviyo?

Thanks,
Arnaud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @ArnaudLaf

No news yet, however, there have been a lot of chatter about getting this into production! It is definitely something that can be created in the future and is not an impossible feature. 

Will circle back when there is news! 

Best,

Taylor 

Badge +4

If a woocommerce user uses Smart Coupons, bulk coupons can be generated easily.  The plugin generates basically a CSV which then needs to be imported.  That same list is then used to upload to Klaviyo I suppose.

There is also a hidden routine in woocommerce > settings (** I think **) that will purge all unused and expired coupons. 

One needs to be VERY cautious when generating these coupons because it is easy to over discount with one slip of a mouse click.  So be positive the coupon is the way you want it to be prior to bulk creation, or instead of making a 5% off a single item coupon you’ll accidentally make a $5 off your whole order coupon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JayH

Love to see users going out of their way to share some product knowledge with each other! 

Thanks for sharing your workaround for using Smart Coupons! Just curious, do you mind sharing more or linking a doc that can shed more light on the possibility of deleting unused coupons in Woocommerce? I think our users, me included, would love to learn how to potentially do this!

Thanks for being a part of the Community! 

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Hello,

Any news regarding this feature? This is something which all Woocommerce users would really need who use any discount (coupons) embedded into the automated emails. Right now there is no easy way to randomize these discount codes and therefore users can utilize this “backdoor” and use them as many times as they want. 

Very good example is the cart abandonment emails. Obviously I don’t want to limit the coupon usage per user because they can get in the flow any time when they stop the checkout process for some reason. But in this way, the coupon can be redeemed whenever he/she wants to..which is obviously not a good thing. 

Please give us a solution for this urgent issue! 

Thanks

Daniel

Badge +2

Agree 1000x this would be very useful. We had to transfer clients from another popular platform that recently shutdown and had this feature, so it seems a bit cray it’s not on the top of the product roadmap. 

The third-party plugin suggested is really pricey for wanting to just generate coupon codes dynamically each month. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Just chiming in as a Klaviyo Partner to say that I can’t believe this hasn’t been updated yet.

So, +1 on getting this into production ASAP, Klaviyo.

Badge

I'm really embarrassed that something like this is still under development (or at least I hope so)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi all, 

Thank you for again voicing how important this is to you! 

Just wanted to chime in and say that our product team is still aware of the request for this feature from our users. While I can’t give a definite time/affirmation they are considering, it is not a request that is going unheard and is still actively considered! 

Thank you all!

-Taylor 

Badge +1

I agree with all the previous, this function really needs to be implemented ASAP as it’s really a basic feature. And since nothing seem to happen (I requested this feature 1.5 years ago) I’ve started to look for an alternative to Klaviyo that is better suited for Woocommerce...

Badge +1

Seriously, what is the hold up here? Is there some great barrier to this being made possible or is it that Klaviyo just doesn’t care about customers who use WooCommerce?

Being “actively considered” is dismissive and sounds like a toddler being told “maybe later”. Rather than telling us Klaviyo is still thinking about it, maybe actually do something about it and tell us when we can expect this functionality. 

We’re not switching to Shopify for this functionality, we’re leaving Klaviyo and finding a better option instead.

I don’t want to have to leave unpleasant comments on community threads but it seems like leaving unpleasant comments and complaining about this is my only option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @kgk,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I completely understand the frustration here. If I wasn’t clear in my previous statement, I can affirm that this is indeed on our feature roadmap. With the recent update to WooCommerce's V3 integration API, we have been able to overcome barriers that were previously halting movement and development of certain product areas.

However, now with the release of V3 of this integration, we are able to do a lot more with the WooCommerce platform.  We’re very excited at the numerous possibilities that this new API version enables our developers to expand upon.I hope sharing some insight behind the slow progress in this area helps you and our other Woocomerce users to know that you are very important to us and we are trying to implement features that will improve your experience in the very near future.

-Taylor

Badge +1

@Taylor Tarpley Thank you so much for the explanation and clarifying the issue. Until you explained it really appeared as though Klaviyo just didn’t care about fixing this. Not being able to is a totally different thing. Look forward to seeing this being a feature we can access in the near future.

Badge +3

Another +1 for this idea.

I manage a client who has over 20,000 shoppers and so being able to generate unique coupon codes would be extremely beneficial.

Thanks,

Badge +3

Hopefuly we would be able to set a coupon valid for x days from email received date.

thanks

Badge +1

Another +1 for this idea.

Badge +1

If it helps anyone, we’ve been using AutomateWoo for native WooCommerce transactional and marketing emails which require just-in-time coupon creation. It creates coupons based on a coupon template. Addind SmartCoupons to the mix enhances deals and promo capabilities significantly e.g. time-based expiry from issue date and BOGO deals. It works quite well with WooCommerce subscriptions too.

I’m finding the lack of coupon generation in Klaviyo really limiting. Current workaround is to use bulk generated coupons through Smart Coupons plugin. But this will require additional admin to keep the coupon database topped up. Something I was hoping not to get involved in. However, this method would be a nightmare for high volume stores like @pixeljack noted.

Badge +2

Hi is there any update on this?

I agree with all of the users above - I can’t believe that Klaviyo do not have a solution to dynamically generate coupon codes via woocommerce.

It seems Klaviyo only care about Shopify users!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @kgk,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I completely understand the frustration here. If I wasn’t clear in my previous statement, I can affirm that this is indeed on our feature roadmap. With the recent update to WooCommerce's V3 integration API, we have been able to overcome barriers that were previously halting movement and development of certain product areas.

However, now with the release of V3 of this integration, we are able to do a lot more with the WooCommerce platform.  We’re very excited at the numerous possibilities that this new API version enables our developers to expand upon.I hope sharing some insight behind the slow progress in this area helps you and our other Woocomerce users to know that you are very important to us and we are trying to implement features that will improve your experience in the very near future.

-Taylor

Hi @chilli and others,

I wanted to bring attention again to the reasoning behind this so far! We will post here  you when we have an update!