Solved

Product images on campaigns don't load immediately

• 29 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi,

There is a n ongoing issue with image loading on all of the campaign emails - tested on multiple Wifi/3G/locations but few images specifically the header images (first image) on the email fails to load every time unless you wait for over 5-6 seconds or close and reopen the email twice or thrice. 
We have reached out to support multiple times - edited images by width as suggested in the template builder to 600px or less, reuploaded images & tried sending a live email rather than preview email - none of which solves issues
Have seen these issues for all templates from the past 2 weeks, has there been any update that has messed up the image loading? We have tested both cloning the older templates & creating a template from scratch but continues to fail.

We do not use product catalog for this, the images are accessible through to Klaviyo  so it’s not a broken link or image issue but when the email is opened, there is an empty space in the place of the images. 

Can someone please help as we are seeing a dip in the performance from emails & had never faced this issue with our previous email platform?

Thanks,

Raks

icon

Best answer by David To 30 September 2021, 20:57

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @Raks - a few questions:

1. Where is the image hosted?  Is it uploaded to Klaviyo?  Klaviyo uses a CDN (Amazon’s CloudFront) which is relatively robust CDN to make images load faster in most locales. 
  2. How *big* is the image? Is it an animated GIF or an uncompressed PNG that is large (>2MB)?  The file size, which is typically relative to the dimensions (hence the 600 pixel width), can be a factor of its loading speed.  It not “having an impact” on previous ESP can be a bit anecdotal since it depends on your bandwidth, the hosting’s availability, and “distance.”
  3.  Is it possible to share the code of your template for us to help?  (Export email as HTML)

Badge +2

Hi @retention, thanks for coming back to us. 

1. The image is uploaded to Klaivyo Brand Library, but this also happens with our product shots which are put into the email using the product catalogue.
  2. Images vary in size but we try to use smaller images to minimise this risk. When we reached out to the support chat we were told that resizing to 600px would help.
  3. Sure, thank you! https://we.tl/t-2RCkmodYJD  

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

https://community.klaviyo.com/email-templates-and-coupons-32/does-the-size-of-email-images-affect-open-rate-or-click-through-950Hello @Raks and @AbbyF14,

In addition to the great points made by @retention, I would suggest taking a look at some more tips mentioned in the MMS Image and GIF Best Practices and How to Use Images in Emails Help Center articles. To allow images to load as fast as possible within your emails, we suggest having your images be:

• 1mb or smaller
  • Be in PNG format
  • Have an image resolution of 720 DPI
  • Uploading the image with a width of 600px or less

From my experience with image optimizations, clients will often times resize the image directly within the Klaviyo editor under the image block’s block setting as opposed to actually resizing the image outside of Klaviyo and reimporting the image. The difference between these two steps is that setting the image width within the block setting will only cause Klaviyo to optimize and shrink the image to fit in that designated container size and not actually resize the image itself. For example, if you imported an image with a default width of 1200px at 6mb but set the image width to be 600px in the image block settings, this would shrink the image down to fit in the container. However, the actual size of the image would remain at 6mb as you are not actually resizing or making the image file smaller in capacity. Despite this image fitting in the container at 600px, this image would still have a load delay as the file size would still remain at 6mb. 

For this reason, should your images be larger and causing a load delay, I would recommend shrinking them and resizing them down within a third party image tool such as Photoshop to fit our image recommendations. I’ve also included other Community posts that other users have found helpful in understanding image best practices below:

I hope this helps!

David