Solved

Property which pulls customer order quantity and embeds into campaigns

• 18 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Each ordered quantity leads to a specific donation and we would like to send out marketing emails that keeps the customer updated on their impact.

I would like to find a way to pull initial order quantity from Shopify and cumulative order quantity

Initial order of 5 shirts = 5 donations - 

Customer later returns orders more next email will update them on their impact.

Further down, would like to send personalized emails based on specific impact.

So far I found custom properties/tags but not sure if this is the way to get this done.

Thank you in advance for your ideas

icon

Best answer by Dov 14 April 2021, 17:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @joey509,

Do you need to know only how many purchases the customer has made, or do you also need to store the category of purchase they’ve made? In other words, is knowing that it’s just 5 purchases over all time sufficient, or are you looking to store 5 purchases over all time and the fact that 3 were shirts and 2 were pants? If you just need to know how many purchases a customer has made, you could segment customers into a few different categories, such as “1-3 purchases over all time,” “4-6 purchases over all time”, “7+ purchases over all time”, etc. and vary the email content based on which segment the campaign is sent to.

Best,

Caroline

Badge +2

Hi @joey509,

Do you need to know only how many purchases the customer has made, or do you also need to store the category of purchase they’ve made? In other words, is knowing that it’s just 5 purchases over all time sufficient, or are you looking to store 5 purchases over all time and the fact that 3 were shirts and 2 were pants? If you just need to know how many purchases a customer has made, you could segment customers into a few different categories, such as “1-3 purchases over all time,” “4-6 purchases over all time”, “7+ purchases over all time”, etc. and vary the email content based on which segment the campaign is sent to.

Best,

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for your response.
Category at this time is not necessary rather the actual quantity the customer has purchased historically.

Ideally I would like to also send out a thank you email per each purchase so if a customer purchase quantity = 5 then then the email would say “thank you for your purchase it has contributed to 5 donations” In this case the segmentation would not work as I would dynamically pull the order quantity and have it plugged into the body of the email.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @joey509,

Thank you for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community. And thank you @caroline for your suggestions.

@joey509, at this time, historical quantity for purchases is not an event variable present in Shopify’s Placed Order metric. Since we rely on the event data i.e. item name, within the metric to dynamically populate these variables in our emails, that precludes us from displaying this variable in the email. 

In terms of sending a “thank you” email for each purchase, again item quantity is not included in this event data. We pull through “item count” but that refers to the amount of discrete items in the order rather than the overall quantity.

Alternatively, you can send us a custom metric using the Track API, including the required event data you’d like to display in the email i.e. historical purchase quantity and current purchase quantity. That metric would then be used to trigger a flow and you can dynamically populate those variables in the email. I am also including a reference guide on the Track API for your convenience here. If you are looking for further assistance in setting this up, we have a great partners page where you can find assistance for these types of custom set-ups. We have more information on the benefits and process of finding the right partner here.

Thanks and have a great day.