Solved

Referral

• 1 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hello, 

I’m setting up a referral scheme for my company. 

I would like to trigger an email when a customer buys a subscription on our website. 

In this email, I’d like to include a personalised discount code that they can share with their friends. 

How would I be able to generate this unique code in Klaviyo? Does this sound possible? would be nice to avoid doing it manually.

icon

Best answer by KatherineB 1 March 2023, 15:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

HI @amyrenegade thanks for posting in the Klaviyo community! You can easily create unique coupon codes in Klaviyo. 

In Klaviyo:

1. Go to content/Coupons
  2. Click “Create Shopify coupon in the top right
  3. Give the coupon code a name (ie. WELCOME10 - this is for internal naming purposes).
  4. Add a prefix to the unique code if you want (ie. WELCOME-F93G1D)
  5. Choose the type of discount you want (fixed amount, %, free shipping)
  6. Type in the amount off
  7. Choose how to apply the coupon (entire order, specific products, specific collections)
  8. Choose when the code activates
  9. Choose when the code expires
    1. When adding a dynamic code to flow email, I like to add an extra day or two on the expiry from what we say in the email that goes to the customer. Sometimes people open emails a day or two after they receive them, and we’ve been able to limit CS tickets about the code not working by doing this. 

More info from Klaviyo: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006155388-How-to-create-unique-coupon-codes-for-Shopify

When you are showing the code in Klaviyo, this is how you would set it up: {% coupon_code 'NAME_OF_YOUR_COUPON' %}. When you preview the email, Klaviyo should show NAME_OF_YOUR_COUPON-PREVIEW and that lets you know that the dynamic code is functioning properly.

if you want to auto add the discount when someone checks out, you can include the code in your CTA link. The link would look like this: www.mystore.com/discount/{% coupon_code 'NAME_OF_YOUR_COUPON' %}

Hope this helps!

Katherine

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @amyrenegade good question. I see Katherine’s reply, but I’m not sure that would support a multi-use code. Katherine can you confirm?

Amy, you’re looking for a code that the customer can share with their friends / followers, so it needs to support multiple uses. Is that correct? 

If so I recommend using a tool like Gatsby for example which can generate multi-use Shopify codes on the fly, using the person’s IG handle as their coupon code, and then sync these codes to Klaviyo to distribute through flows. It also tracks every order and $ that is driven back to your store.

For context I’m the founder of Gatsby, and I can help hands on with this use-case, or there are probably other solutions as well that can support generating multi-use codes too, although I’m not sure about which of them sync to Klaviyo. That’s the part I know Gatsby specializes in.

Here’s a detailed help doc showing how this works: https://help.gatsby.ai/en/using-gatsbys-klaviyo-flow-templates I suggest jumping right down to the videos in Step 3

Badge +2

Hi Katherine, 

That’s really useful thank you. I’ve set that up. 

As Brett mentions, I’d like this code to be valid for multiple use. Is that possible in Klaviyo?

And thanks for the tip Brett, but we wouldn’t want to use the customer’s instagram handle as their discount code. 

Thanks for the help! 

Amy 

Badge +2

Another thought – how can I see which discount code was sent to each customer / track who it’s linked to when the customer uses the code in our shopify store?

Badge +2

Alternatively, I could create the codes in shopify. 

In this case, could I theoretically…

• upload a CSV. file to Klaviyo with the name/email/code.
  • add a personalisation field with the corresponding code 
  • bulk send email to customers with their unique code 

This would work with existing customers I suppose, but not sure if we can then set up an automatic trigger when a customer purchases.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey @amyrenegade yea to your point I think your best bet is using a 3rd party integration since I’m 99% sure that Klaviyo doesn’t support multi-use codes out of the box. However with Gatsby, if it helps, you can do everything you’re asking for and you wouldn’t need to use their handle as their code, just an option. 

You would be able to:

• Create the codes on the fly automatically
  • Sync to Klaviyo so they are sent out via Klaviyo Flows 
  • Track who has been issued which code and track every order and $ they drive back to your store
Badge +2

Hi Brett, 

Thanks for your advice, but as a small business, we can’t afford $300 per month. 

Katherine if you have any more advice, it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Amy