Solved

Send users to a dynamic post-purchase upsell link

• 3 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi there,

I am trying to create a post-purchase upsell dynamic link. I am currently looking at the order confirmation trigger and inside the first email I would like to link the user to the product(s) they have just purchased to a special 50% off page.

I was thinking of tagging the url like https://store_name/products/product_name-50 where those in bold will be dynamically changing depending on the product and store_name ill just insert my store name. 

However, i’m having issues with the above because it does not send me to the correct URL:

https://store_name/products/MiniMind%E2%84%A2%20-%20Highly%20Interactive%20Child%20Learning-50?_kx= 

is where it sends me when I use the below

https://store_name/products/{{ item.product.title }}-50

but was hoping for it to send me to

https://store_name/products/minimind™-highly-interactive-child-learning-50

If anyone has any input on how to correct my dynamic URL code or even a different approach to achieve what I am after that would be amazing. It’s also worth noting, they are provided this page on post-purchase by default but I can’t seem to find it tagged in the preview section tags.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 4 December 2023, 18:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Welcome to the community @deviant 

You are using the product’s title rather than the product’s handle so the url is not being built correctly.

It’s unclear how many products you want to promote in this way or how you will handle an order with multiple products: will all be discounted or only some? However, the approach below using an iterative product table may point you in the right direction if you’re offering this discount on all products to purchasers.

If you don’t already have a Klaviyo Shopify abandoned checkout flow. Create one so that you can save the product table as universal content to reuse in your email.

In the dynamic table settings » content:

In the image column, change the link address to {{ organization.url|trim_slash }}/products/{{ item.product.handle }}-50

In the text column, change the HTML link (note i’ve added “50% OFF” to the product title):

<a href="{{ organization.url|trim_slash }}/products/{{ item.product.handle }}-50">{{ item.product.title }} 50% Off!</a>

When displayed to the recipient in your post-purchase flow, the table will show all the products in their order with the correct ‘-50’ urls and each will have “50% OFF” next to the product title 

An alternative approach you may want to consider is creating a Shopify 50% coupon and adding that to the urls instead of ‘-50’ so you can use the same product pages with 50% auto-applied. More info on that here:  https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005253088

Hope that helps

Andy

Badge

Hey @bluesnapper thanks very much for the detail above. Can I confirm if I am doing this correct?

This is the table i have

Upon previewing I get

seems it doesn’t like the {{ organization.url|trim_slash }}/products/{{ item.product.handle }}-50 link address for some reason.

Also, to answer some of your Qs, I want to offer this upon all products the customer has just purchased. The thing is I want to send them to a new product page that has 50% off as my original product price is increased by 15% and then the 50% off is applied on that page. If you can think of a way to incorporate this in the current page then even better.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @deviant 

I can’t actually work out what you have there, as the controls/fields look unusual!

Here’s my table set-up below for your use case, which works for me for a placed order event.

Let me know how you get on!

Regards

Andy

link address: {{ organization.url|trim_slash }}/products/{{ item.product.handle }}-50

Badge

Thanks heaps mate, that seemed to do the trick! Really appreciate your assistance on this one, cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

No problem @deviant Pleased I could help!

Regards

Andy

Badge

Hey @bluesnapper I have a similar requirement for abandoned cart. I’m trying to use the same code on the added to cart event which I created as a custom event in shopify. Currently I am using these areas which are {{ event.ImageURL|default:'' }} and {{ event.Name|default:'' }}

Currently my code is the same, just replacing the event with the new one as below:

{{ organization.url|trim_slash }}/products/{{ event.Name }}-25

{{event.Name|truncatewords:1|slice:"-1"}} 25% OFF!

{{ organization.url|trim_slash }}/products/{{ event.Name }}-25

Currently in the preview and test, neither the button nor the image is displaying, do you know if i need to adjust anything to the above by any chance? Thanks in advance!

Badge +2

This is a tough problem.

I’m assuming you are on shopify based on the event json you shared? There are some cool things you can do with the shopify permalink feature. Discounts can be automatically applied and you can choose to send someone right to the checkout or to the cart page.

There are also some cool things you can do with interactive emails both in gmail and apple mail that make this possible. There are some new companies like Zaymo out there that take this functionality and make it super easy to use for shopify-klaviyo stores in the abandoned cart or browse abandonment cases. People prefer to not have to wait for redirect links so doing as much as you can in the email has shown some significant conversion boosts.