Solved

Support for multiple currencies in Catalog for promoted products

• 4 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I am trying to implement support for multiple currency/price of products in our custom catalog so that emails can feature promoted products in the appropriate price and currency of the region being targeted, however it looks like Klaviyo isn’t designed to support this. I could upload multiple catalogs but this would result in multiple versions of the same product ID and I don’t think Klaviyo supports this, also when creating a feed there is no way to specify which catalog it should be sourced from, so I don’t see any way for marketers to drag & drop a product block with the appropriate currency/price for the products they want to include in the promotional email campaign they are building.

How are others implementing different currencies and prices? I find it hard to believe that Klaviyo is limited to a single currency for the catalog feed. 

We are using a custom implementation on our own e-commerce platform i.e. we are not using Shopify.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 5 October 2021, 01:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @shane.mitchell,

Thanks for posting this question to the Community!

To get started, since you are building everything from a custom API and integration, there is definitely more in your realm of possibility. You can definitely send us different currencies in your custom event data and use dynamic event variables to display the correct prices in your event-triggered flows.  I would recommend choosing a single currency for revenue tracking and reporting purposes, however, so you would want to make sure the $value parameter has the converted/unified currency and then you can include additional custom properties in the event data to pass the original currency/amount. 

There is a way to have multiple catalogs with different currencies for each, different pricing on one, and the same item ID's across them. Is it worth it? Probably not. First, it is difficult to keep product catalogs separate. You would have to send an item through in a category to identify which catalog it is. Categories are currently the only way to filter your products when creating product feeds. Then, you would have to update the individual emails for the proper currency. You are not able to send any currency symbols through the price field. That field can only be numbers. Do you absolutely need to have difference currencies, because if so, it's a "cleaner" setup to have an individual Klaviyo account for each currency. Each account would be set up for just that accounts currency.

At this time Klaviyo is not able to support multi-currencies dynamically in emails, and we do not have a way to display the currency based on what the customer selected.  In order to do this, the best option for you that I have seen some customers do would be to create a series of conditional splits in your emails, and filter by Country, and in each branch of the flow you can set up emails in the currency respective to that particular location. 

Additionally, I would check out this Community post as a similar question is brought up:

I would love to hear more from other Community members that find this post!

Alex

Badge +3

Hi Alex,

thank you for the insightful response. For every product event we submit the currency and price in Euro (our default) and the customers chosen currency and price in separate fields, so in flows that are triggered by events (e.g. Abandoned basket chasing) we can use the customerCurencyPrice field to display the appropriate price in the email, this works great and means that customers receive their abandoned basket email with prices and currency matching the ones they used on the site.

However, we are struggling in the area of marketing campaign flows/templates e.g. our Marketing team would like to create 4 Halloween themed campaigns for EUR, GBP, USD and CAD customers using the built-in Product Block to add products for promotion to the email and have it display the correct currency and price for the target market. The built-in Product Block uses the price field and I don’t see any way to conditionally get it to use a different price field from the catalog (e.g. priceInUSD). They can create 4 individual templates or flows for each regional campaign so we don’t need to use a conditional split in the flow, we just need some way to tell the built-in Product Block on this template/flow that we want to use a different field for price data for the display of the product price in the block.

I could probably get this to work with custom scripting but this is not a viable solution as the Marketing team can’t be expected to request the IT dept to implement custom scripting for them just to configure a new campaign.

Thanks again for any help or advice, it’s much appreciated.

Shane

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @shane.mitchell,

Of course glad I could help! So unfortunately, you cannot use multiple currencies using a product block nor can we convert any currency. Other options aside from what has already been mentioned, I would say your best bet is to remove the price from the product block completely and just include embedded link in each image in the block. The process you mentioned is also the workaround we have for now: Create 4 templates, one for each site to link back to the specific products(s) on the various site(s) which includes the price. 

At the time I wish there was a method to use currencies for different regions in a product block dynamically. I can definitely submit a product request so that this does end up on our team’s roadmap!

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do,

Alex

Badge +4

Hi Alex,

thank you for the insightful response. For every product event we submit the currency and price in Euro (our default) and the customers chosen currency and price in separate fields, so in flows that are triggered by events (e.g. Abandoned basket chasing) we can use the customerCurencyPrice field to display the appropriate price in the email, this works great and means that customers receive their abandoned basket email with prices and currency matching the ones they used on the site.

However, we are struggling in the area of marketing campaign flows/templates e.g. our Marketing team would like to create 4 Halloween themed campaigns for EUR, GBP, USD and CAD customers using the built-in Product Block to add products for promotion to the email and have it display the correct currency and price for the target market. The built-in Product Block uses the price field and I don’t see any way to conditionally get it to use a different price field from the catalog (e.g. priceInUSD). They can create 4 individual templates or flows for each regional campaign so we don’t need to use a conditional split in the flow, we just need some way to tell the built-in Product Block on this template/flow that we want to use a different field for price data for the display of the product price in the block.

I could probably get this to work with custom scripting but this is not a viable solution as the Marketing team can’t be expected to request the IT dept to implement custom scripting for them just to configure a new campaign.

Shane

@shane.mitchell  Can you please share how did you solve using the customerCurencyPrice field to display the appropriate price in the email?

Badge +3

Hi Alex,

Shane

@shane.mitchell  Can you please share how did you solve using the customerCurencyPrice field to display the appropriate price in the email?

Hi Vesna,

when we create the custom catalogue json file for upload to Klaviyo we include 10 price fields (priceEUR, priceUSD, priceAUD etc..) then when the marketing team, are creating campaigns they create region specific campaigns, so they will create a template and make copies for each region and the only difference will be to use the corresponding price field and currency symbol.

Shane

Badge +4

Thanks! But how you show dynamic abandoned cart with prices in customers selected currency? 

Badge +3

Thanks! But how you show dynamic abandoned cart with prices in customers selected currency? 

On the frontend we when we are sending product tracking data to Klaviyo we send the customer displayed price and currency symbol, these field values are then used to populate the abandoned basket template, this way it always matches the customers selected currency.