Solved

Universal links support ( Deep linking)

• 29 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Does Klaviyo supports universal links?

In high level, I would like to create an email campaign, and embed a link for App install.

Once the user will click on the link there are 2 scenarios:

1. In case the App is not installed - the user will be redirected to the app store.
  2. In case the App is already installed, the App will be opened directly on a specific page ( this is actually the deep linking functionality).

I couldn’t find any formal documentation for such ability.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Yossi.

icon

Best answer by David To 31 January 2022, 20:30

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Yossi,

Great question!

At a high level, Klaviyo does support universal links in email content! If you were looking to implement this though you’ll also want to set up your own dedicated click tracking to disabling Klaviyo’s default click tracking method. Natively, all links within Klaviyo are wrapped in Klaviyo’s click tracking encoding, which when paired with a universal link would cause the link to not function/redirect correctly. 

In addition, I would suggest taking a look at some external resources that can offer you guidance in building and generating these universal links to be used within Klaviyo. Two resources that comes to mind is Branch.io’s own internal documentation as they have developed their own connection with Klaviyo as well as SendGrid’s own documentation on universal links which is a really helpful read!

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Hello @David To ,

Thanks for your detailed response.

Basically I’m integrating with several ESPs,and each one of them behaves differently :)

(Sendgrid is one of them :) ).

As a first step I will need to define my click recording domain.

My question, does Klaviyo hosts the AASA file on their servers or any other method? ( couldn’t find any documentation related to this topic).

AASA file should be accessible under the click tracking domain.

My main goal is to keep Klaviyo  click tracking ,and yet achieve deep linking abilities.

Thanks, in advance,

Yossi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Yossi,

Thanks for those additional details! 

If you were looking to set up universal links you’ll also need to set up and use your own dedicated click tracking rather than Klaviyo’s default click tracking as previously mentioned. Using your own custom dedicated click tracking is what allows you to define the AASA file associated with your click tracking domain. With Klaviyo’s default click tracking method, you would have no control over it and therefore are not allowed to define any additional files with it. 

At this time, there wouldn’t be a method to allow you to leverage Klaviyo’s default click tracking method in tandem with universal links. 

David

Badge +2

Hey @David To ,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I’m currently in a process of setup my own click tracking domain and sending domain.

Once done, Where should the AASA file should be hosted? is it on Klaviyo’s servers?

Another question, I saw that as part of setup sending domain and click tracking domain,I need to cname it to Sendgrid.

Can you please share if you are using Sendgrid as your ESP to send emails, or do you send it using your servers?

Thanks for your help and patience :)

Yossi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Yossi,

You’ll need to actually host the AASA file yourself; typically on your own domain or a secure server and not on Klaviyo as we are not a hosting service provider. 

We don't comment regarding who our upstream ESP providers are or the methods that we send emails. 

Since this pertains to such a custom solution, I may suggest reaching out to some of our accredited Klaviyo Partners who may have more experience setting this up! Would love to hear if other Community members have previous experience setting this up themselves!

David

Badge +2

Hey @David To,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually we ( AppsFlyer) came up with a solution for ESP’s that are wrapping the link with no deep linking solution - ESP deep linking

Can you please recommend who is the one that I can discuss it over? 

Thanks,

Yossi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Yossi,

I’m not sure which Klaviyo Partner would be best to reach out to. However, you may have some luck reaching out and speaking with the developer of Branch.io. As previously mentioned, they have developed their own integration and connection to Klaviyo to utilize universal links and would have more experience on this. 

David