Solved

Welcome flow discount -> abandonment flows

• 12 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi there!

Just had a question about how the welcome discount is best brought over to abandonment flows.

So in the welcome series one of our offers is X% off your order. I’ve integrated it into the button links instead of making them input a code at checkout. With the abandoned checkout flow I’ve got it linking straight to checkout, the abandoned cart linking straight to cart and then site+browse abandon linking back to collection and product respectively.

So what I was wondering was if someone had clicked the welcome series button with the discount built in, and then gone through the funnel but not far enough to have the discount appear in checkout- 

If they went back to collection/product/cart/checkout(if they were only at the start of the checkout) via an abandonment flow, would the discount reapply itself when they reached that stage? Or would you have to rebuild the relevant discount into the abandonment flow’s button? And how would that look?

Thanks a lot for any help!

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 14 April 2023, 22:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @ethan.hardcastle1,

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for sharing your question with us, happy to help! 

I might need to clarify a few things to best help you!

To clarify, clicking the discount button in your welcome series email takes them to your site to put products in their basket and checkout with the discount already applied in their browser, without having to manually input the discount code on the checkout page, correct? And your question is if they dont follow through on a purchase after clicking the email and abandon checkout to go grab more things to add to their cart or just exit the store, will they still have the discount applied to their cart when they trigger the an abandoned checkout flow and get a consequential email? 

Thank you for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +3

@Taylor Tarpley Hi,

Yes that’s exactly what I mean! Would the discount still be ‘there’ in the browser so that I wouldn’t need to add it to a button in the abandonment flow?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @ethan.hardcastle1

Thanks for that! 

Yes, once they exit the browser, the coupon won’t be applied as the coupon ‘stuck’ to their browser after they clicked a button or link in your welcome flow email. It should also be mentioned that manually adding a discount to a customer’s cart is different than the code to send them back to your site!  

Do you mind me asking if you’re tagging your new subscribers when you’re giving this discount to in the welcome flow who you are then targeting again in the Abandon Cart and Browse Abandonment flow to use the discount? I ask because other subscribers, ie your older subscribers who already went through the welcome flow earlier in their customer journey with your brand, could also trigger those flows since they’re metric-triggered and you want to ensure that they aren’t receiving the welcome count discount to apply to their cart or browser again in the two consecutive flows. 

If not, I would consider adding conditional splits in both your AC and browser abandonment flows with the condition > have they received email where the subject was “your welcome discount message’s subject line’ > in the last 7 days AND  they have placed order > zero times> in the last 7 days. Your new subscribers who just went through your welcome flow and haven’t purchased will be filtered in to receive the email with your discount reminder that will take them where they need to go on your site and your older subscribers will be sure not to get the email and go down the ‘NO’ path to lead them down the normal flow experience. 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +3

@Taylor Tarpley Hi,

I’m currently just having welcome flow subscribers go through the same abandonment flows as other customers but that’s why I started this thread really, to rethink about what the best practice would be going forward in the brands I work with.

In most of the welcome flows I build, there’s a variety of offers throughout, with different discount codes to make use of them. So would best practice be to conditional split like you said, but for every subject line in the welcome flow and then have the corresponding abandonment flow leading past that with that specific welcome flow email’s discount in the buttons? Is there no easier way?

I’m thinking that just having some copy to remind them to head back to the original welcome flow email and use that link might be the best way.

Thanks!

Ethan