What's the best image resolution for my email?

• 27 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

While Klaviyo allows you to add up to 5MB per image, 1MB should work fine and is best practice. You want to think about load time, especially for mobile recipients who are not on WiFi or those without a fast internet connection.

PNG files will typically render the best, but we also accept JPEG, JPG, and GIF file types.

For image resolution, we recommend 72dpi as that's the standard for web.

For the image size, the height or width should be no more than 2000px. Anything larger could also potentially cause load time issues. If your image is more than 2000px in height, slice it into multiple sections so that it takes less time to load.

2 replies

Badge +1

Thank you. I understand that that 2000 is the limit for  both length and height but the template clearly shows a rectangle. What are the dimensions of that particular space so I can design something that fits into it perfectly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @LitFut,

The suggest 2000px wouldn’t actually be a limit to the image size, but rather just a suggestion to alleviate any email load time issues. You can technically use an image as large as you would like, but keep in mind that the larger the image, the longer it will take a to load. 

Additionally, there actually isn’t any set height restrictions pertaining to the space designated by an image block. The width of the image block however, like all other elements of the email would be limited to what you’ve set the email width to be. Typically, by default, the width would be set to 600px. 

If you haven’t already, I would suggest taking a look at the How to Use Images in Emails and Optimal Email Template Width Help Center articles and our Getting Started with Email Design Academy course to further learn about images and their best practices when used in an email. 

David