Solved

Why aren't my dynamic variables showing in my preview?

• 22 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I can't figure out why dynamic variables (whichever variant I set) don't display in the preview. 

I have tried different options and copied from the working flows and the option of the variables that are copied from the preview itself. It doesn't work. Who has dealt with this? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Below are screenshots of the variants of what I set in the variables

and then below are the triggers that are selected (issue with the two flows)

Thank you in advance for any help!

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 26 May 2023, 20:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @rocketcrolab

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for sharing your question with us, happy to help! 

I can see that we’re talking specifically about the ‘Added to Cart’ trigger flow and what I can assume is the Abandon Checkout flow. It appears you have both your ‘item.product.title’ and ‘event.name’ dynamic blocks in the same email? The prior should be only used in your Abandon Cart Flow while the second table should belong to your ‘Add to Cart’ metric-triggered flow.

In each metric-triggered flow, in order to pull the dynamic data from the trigger, you will need to check the event data and pull out the right variables given in each flow to ensure everything is working successfully and pulling the right variables. The screenshot of inside your dynamic table variable looks correct for the table above, your Abandon Cart’s dynamic table, however, I would recommend you do the investigation into your ‘Add to Cart’ emails event data to find the correct variables for that specific flow.

Additionally, it should be mentioned that the ‘Add to Cart metric’ works a little differently than the ‘Checkout Started’ metric as the Added to Cart metric only stores 1 product and it’s associated event data (Brand, Price etc.) per event. This means that there are no items to iterate over using a row collection and alias. The solution is to simply click on the event data in the preview and copy and paste those tags directly into your email (see example screenshots below). The thread below can give more insight into this.

Finally, to confirm, the events associated with the flow have been triggered already, correct? For instance, if your store is new and no one has taken the flow’s action i.e. ‘Added to Cart’ or ‘Checkout’ Started that could be another reason why a preview isn’t pulling dynamic data into the email even after all the variables are correct.

Please let us know if you’re still experiencing issues after implementing these changes!

Thanks for partipcating in the Community!

-Taylor

Badge

Thank you @Taylor Tarpley , for such a detailed explanation. 

Just a few more clarifications.

1. Originally I took the variables just from the preview (by copying them), but since they didn't work I tried other options (which unfortunately did not help either)
  2. Actions for triggering an event are already available, But as you can see the data is still not displayed

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @rocketcrolab

Thanks for the added explanation! 

I’d always recommend pulling it from the event data within each flow’s unique email to prevent any issues like this and building it like scratch following the directions I listed above. Can you try recreating this in another flow email from scratch follow Ana’s instructions here step by step for each flow and see if you find success? 

Also to confirm, it seemed like you mentioned that other flows are working successfully, so you can confirm the events associated with the flow have been triggered already, correct? For instance, if your store is new and no one has taken the flow’s action i.e. ‘Added to Cart’ or ‘Checkout’ Started that could be another reason why a preview isn’t pulling dynamic data into the email even after all the variables are correct.

-Taylor