Skip to main content

We are having an issue where when a customer clicks “email me with news and offers” at checkout, they are not automatically subscribed to Klaviyo - is this an issue that can be fixed with code? 

I am actively checking a segment I made called “Accepts Marketing in Shopify but 'not subscribed' in Klaviyo” and subscribing them but hoping there may be a way to automate this? 

Hey @queenb 

Thank you for posting your question here in the community

"Accepts Marketing" is a Shopify property that is set to "true" when a person opts-in to marketing on your Shopify store. If you have not enabled syncing of that Shopify data to a Klaviyo list (your newsletter list) then that person will show in Klaviyo as "Accepts marketing" = "true" and "Email" = "never subscribed" (unless they have also subscribed via a Klaviyo form).

To get a single source of truth for opt-ins, you should enabing syncing between Shopify and Klaviyo and then use your Klaviyo list. To do that, head to Klaviyo Integration >> Shopify >>  View Settings >> Sync data from Shopify, then select your newsletter list (see image below).

That will only sync new Shopify opt-ins after enabling so if you have historical "Accepts Marketing" contacts in Shopify you will have to  update those contacts in your Klaviyo newsletter list. To do that, follow the instructions here: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260806293150 and import into your newsletter list. That guide is for removing email suppressions in bulk, but the principle is the same. Just make sure you select “Yes, update subscription status for all imported contacts to 'subscribed'”.

Or an easier option to include historical "Accepts Marketing" contacts is to create a newsletter *segment* in Klaviyo that includes "Is in syour newsletter] list" OR "Accepts marketing = true"

Hope that helps

Cheers

Arpit

Apologies for not stating this earlier but the accounts have been synced as per the above and to the correct list since Klaviyo was launched. 

@ArpitBanjara Hey, i acivated the syncing to my main list. The main List is for Newsletter Subscribers of the Embed Widget and for Customers who accepts marketing while purchasing. So basically Shopify subscribers. 

But they dont appear in my klaviyo list. Basically the profile states accepts marketing but that they arent subscribed so i cant send newsletters to these profiles and they dont appear in a list. 

Best regards
Robert

Hey @EctoCare 

Create a segment of profiles who have “accepts marketing” is “true” and then trigger a flow with this segment and update the consent status.

let me know if that works. thanks

@ArpitBanjara Hey, thanks for your help.I could create a segment and also can send campaigns to this segment. But i dont know how to trigger a flow to update the klaviyo consent status?