Solved

Emails Not Triggering

• 26 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I a own an e-commerce brand on Shopify and I built up some email flows on Klaviyo. I am running into some triggering issues. I am integrated within Shopify, but the flows are not triggering. Anybody have any suggestions? 

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 27 June 2023, 10:52

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @Cheecam!

Would you mind providing a little more context about the triggers you’re using? Also, did you build the flows using the defaults from our flow library? 

My first instinct is that you may not be using the Shopify triggers. In your Klaviyo account, you may see multiple different versions of metrics like “Placed Order” when you go to select the trigger for the flow. However, it’s important to be sure that you’re selecting the Shopify version, or else the flow will not be triggered by Shopify customers:

However, it will help myself and other Community members gather more context on the issue if you’d be willing to provide further information about what types of flows you’re creating, what triggers they use, and how you’re testing them. In the meantime, here are some other Community threads that you might find helpful:

Thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Badge

I have 4 different flows
1. Welcome series newsletter

2 Abandoned Cart

3 Post purchase flow which triggers when a Shopify order happens

4 post purchase fl​​​​​​ow which is based on date

I checked the trigger and it does show the Shopify placed order. I am not sure if our newsletter profiles are not registering to the post-purchase flow after they make a purchase. 

These flows are pretty important to our business, so I am hoping we can figure it out quickly. 

I do have “smart sending” turned on. Could this be preventing our flow from triggering because maybe they already received our “welcome” email when they signed up for our pop up? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @Cheecam 

If everything else is looking OK, I would start investigating smart sending as you mentioned.

It’s usual for someone to sign-up via a pop-up and then make a purchase soon after, and so within the smart-send window. Particularly if the incentive to subscribe is a discount code. In your setup, they will then not receive the post-purchase flow emails, nor will they receive the abandon cart email if that has smart send enabled and they don’t purchase.

You can check this out by viewing the “Recipient Activity” of a flow email and selecting “Skipped”. You’ll see under the drop-down “Skipped: Smart Sending”  plus a count of contacts that have been skipped. From that list, you can then check individual skipped contact’s profiles to see what messages have been sent to them.

Hope that helps

Andy

Badge

So if I turn off smart sending, this should solve the issue? 

Badge

Could you take a look at my profile and offer some suggestions and see if everything is set up correctly? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @Cheecam!

I agree with @bluesnapper’s great point - checking the skipped recipient list will give you an idea of how many contacts did not receive the messages because of smart sending or otherwise. 

However, I was able to review your profile and saw that it appears your flow messages are being sent and that you’ve turned smart sending off, so the trigger issue appears resolved . If you need help determining why some profiles have been skipped going forward, you can consult this Help Center article:

Best,

Brian 

Badge

Thank you,

Also, I have another flow “Post-Purchase (Wedding Date Trigger)” that is an email series that is based on a wedding date. My company serves the wedding industry and our customers are wedding brides. 

The post purchase order count split is triggered when a purchase is made in Shopify. 

We collect their wedding date in Shopify for our data, but then we built a flow that triggers an email based off that wedding date. A wedding bride will receive the first post purchase first and then when they are within the wedding date trigger, will receive the second flows. 

How do I know if the flow will trigger properly? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Cheecam,

You can find out if your flow will trigger properly by testing the flow experience yourself.

I’ve previously provided some guidance on how to test a date triggered flow in the past Community posts below:

I would also recommend taking a look through our How date-based flows queue recipients and How to create a date property-triggered flow Help Center articles to learn more about how date-triggered flows work.  

David