Solved

Getting product data from catalog

• 21 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I cannot seem to get product data through the API in a store that is connected to Shopify. 

Is it right that you can only get product data through a custom integration? 

My goal is to have a product ID and use it to get the product data from a Shopfy/Klaviyo user. 

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 27 July 2023, 20:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @villads_leth!

Would you be willing to elaborate on the type of product data you are looking to pull via the API? 

The Catalogs API endpoints allow you to obtain certain information about products, and the following guide explains more about thi​​​​​s:

However, I think it would help myself and other Community members answer the question more accurately if you could provide a little more context about what information you are trying to pull.

Best,

Brian

Badge

Hey @Brian Turcotte 

So the use case is that i want to pull the product description from a product that is stored inside Klaviyo. 

I’m building a personalization tool on top of Klaviyo, and would like to not have users integrate into any CMS, yet i need to pull either the product description or a product link. 

In this part of the documentation it seems like i can access that data: https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/reference/get_catalog_item

However i am not sure i can access it if an account is linked up to Shopify due to this: 

“Currently, the only supported integration type is $custom, and the only supported catalog is $default.”

Does that mean, that i cannot get any items from catalogs that are not custom? And if yes - why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @villads_leth!

My apologies for the delay here - as of now, you can only retrieve information on catalog items that were added to your catalog via the Klaviyo API (custom). However, expanding this functionality is definitely on our Product team’s radar, so I will update the thread if anything changes in the future.

Keep in mind that you can only use the Catalog API when you do not have an active custom catalog sync. 

I hope this helps to clarify!

Best,

Brian