Solved

How do I send customers a discount code after they leave a review?

• 18 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We’re setting up our reviews request flow and I was wondering what I needed to do in order to set it up such that customers who leave a review will receive a discount code. Is it also possible to isolate customers who leave a photo review specifically?

The last post related to this was 2 years ago and I’m wondering if there are any updates to what we can do. Please let me know! 

Original post:

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 20 October 2023, 10:43

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Welcome to the community @Katherine Guo 

I use reviews.io for the accounts I manage. The positive product review flow I have is shown below and it triggers from a metric provided by the reviews.io platform integration. If you are using a different review platform (Klaviyo?), there should be a similar metric. You can then add a discount code to the emails sent in this flow.

With reviews.io there is also a metric to determine if the review included a photo or video: ‘ReviewsIOPhoto’ (any photo reviewers) and ‘ReviewsIOVideo’ (any video reviewers).

Hope that helps

Andy

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

@Katherine Guo ,

What platform are you using for your website? And also to gather reviews? Ideally you can find a platform to handle your review needs that integrates well with Klaviyo. 

As @bluesnapper said, you can use programs like reviews.io. My personal favorite for Shopify is Judge.me. Klaviyo also has its own reviews platform which is pretty awesome and getting better and better. 

Badge +1

Welcome to the community @Katherine Guo 

I use reviews.io for the accounts I manage. The positive product review flow I have is shown below and it triggers from a metric provided by the reviews.io platform integration. If you are using a different review platform (Klaviyo?), there should be a similar metric. You can then add a discount code to the emails sent in this flow.

With reviews.io there is also a metric to determine if the review included a photo or video: ‘ReviewsIOPhoto’ (any photo reviewers) and ‘ReviewsIOVideo’ (any video reviewers).

Hope that helps

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy! To answer your question, we used to use LOOX for reviews but we’re making the switch over to Klaviyo reviews. I’ve set up the flow to look something like this (Attached below). 

This is a separate issue, but I’m hoping you can help me. When sending customers a discount code created on Shopify, there’s the issue of the fact that customers can now use this code as many times as they’d like. If we make it a one-time use code, the code will be invalid for any future reviews that they leave (we’re hoping to offer a discount each time they leave a review, not just once). Is there a way to set it up in either Klaviyo or Shopify that automatically applies a discount to their profile after leaving the review? How else can I approach this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @Katherine Guo 

Good question!

I considered whether a single-use dynamic code would work with your flow as shown. However, you'll have the same issue: Klaviyo will always insert the same code for a customer when using the same dynamic code snippet in your email, even after they leave repeat reviews.

The solution below should work when placed after your Submitted review conditional split. You could probably use display logic to show/hide the different review codes in one email, but that gets a bit complicated. You can also replicate what I've done without conditional splits by using the filter option on each email.

You'll need to create as many static codes (R1-XYZ, R2-XYZ etc), and conditional splits/emails with those codes, as you think you'll need. Those codes will be unlimited but single-use per customer. My example discount codes are not nice looking, just placeholders!

Notes:

• Customers don't always redeem codes, so there is no point in giving them a new code if one is still unused. That's why the conditional splits check if an order has been placed over all time using a specific review discount code.
  • If you don't want your review discount codes being shared, you can replace the static codes with dynamic codes. As with the static codes, you'll need to create a dynamic code for each of the emails. One use only, one use per customer. In this case, you’ll need to create those with a unique prefix (R1-, R2- etc) and filter on that prefix.
  • You have smart send enabled on your thank you/discount code email. I suggest disabling that. I think a customer would prefer to receive that email even if they've received other emails within the smart-send window!

Hope that helps

Andy