Question

Phantom Reviews?

• 1 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi there,

I am just wondering why some reviews are not showing up on my “Overview” or “All Reviews” page but are impacting my average rating for the widgets? 

Currently I have a product that has a significantly lower rating since I think a customer accidentally clicked the review link and left 3 reviews unintentionally (5-star, 4-star and a 1-star review). The reason I suspect this is that upon exporting all my reviews as a CSV, I can see the same name leave 3 reviews. 

I also noted that in the same CSV, there was a 1 star review that was left without any note or comment which makes me believe that was on accident as well. I have put the review submission form as requiring some form of comment.

CSV Export - 3 review by same customer + 1 accidental?

Unfortunately this means that that product now has an average rating of 3.88 and I can’t do anything as the review does not show up in the “Overview” or “All Reviews” page. 

This leads me to question:

1. How do we ensure that customers reviews that are left by accident don’t significantly impact our average rating for products (especially new ones with a small number of reviews)?
  2. Is there a way to delay reviews publishing until we are sure it is not a duplicate review from the same customer or if they left it by mistake (they don’t leave any comment)?

Thanks in Advance!

Best Regards,

Luke

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @Luke T.!

I’ll check on this with the Reviews team and I’ll update the thread ASAP!

Best,
Brian

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

As a follow-on note for the reviews without comment, there are two types of actions a user can do:

• Ratings - these are simply someone click 1 to 5 stars but did not leave a written review.  These ratings are factored in the “star ratings” calculations.
  • Reviews - these are the written portion of the review which also requires a rating.  

I’m not sure if you can only show the ratings of people who lefts a Review (and ignore the ratings).  But we just figured out that ourselves that ratings and reviews are actually separate items in Klaviyo’s review platform.

Badge

Thanks for the input Joseph, that actually makes a lot of sense.

In that case, I guess I have to ride it out and hope for more 5-star reviews.

I’m also dealing with this issue. I recently found a 1-star rating on one of our products, but nothing was showing up in our dashboard as a recent review. I believe it was from our automated review request emails which gathered ratings (why are reviews and ratings different…??), but even then when I dug into the customer who rated the item, it’s showing they left a 3-star rating. Even though this doesn’t match the 1-star I see on the item (the only rating showing up), either way I’m unhappy with anything less than 5 stars and this was a repeat, loyal customer so I reached out to her to see if there was anything wrong with the order and what we could do differently. She replied that the items were gorgeous and they were very happy with them and that she would write a review tomorrow, so I’m wondering if this was perhaps a mis-click from the email that she didn’t even realise she made. I don’t see any way to remove ratings, and as we’re a growing brand we don’t get a ton of reviews so this brand new item is unfortunately sitting at an incorrect 1-star review that severely impacts future customers decisions!

I’ve had to remove the widget from all the product pages as I didn’t find a way to remove this rating, and I’m still not sure where it came from.

I recently switched from our other reviews app to have all our email flows in one place, but between having ratings and reviews separate, not having email flows for ratings integrate easily with the reviews tab (I figured this would be 100% seamless and it’s not), and not having the ability to remove or correct a mistaken rating, I’m quite disappointed so far.