Solved

Profiles Didn't Capture Subscription Status

• 23 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

When first setting up Shopify and Klaviyo, I didn’t sync my Shopify email subscribers to Klaviyo, so I have several profiles that are showing that they aren’t subscribed to email when in fact they did subscribe to email. How can I change their subscription status in Klaviyo and add them to an existing list? 

A couple of other questions I have: 

1. Now that I’ve selected ‘sync my Shopify email subscribers to Klaviyo’ and selected a list, when a customer subscribes through checkout on Shopify, will they automatically be subscribed and added to the list I indicated in Klaviyo? 
  2. How do I integrate Shopify unsubscribes to Klaviyo? For example, if someone who is subscribed to email then later indicates at checkout that they don’t want to receive promotional emails, how would that unsubscribe pass to Klaviyo? Everything that I’ve read says that data doesn’t pass to Klaviyo. 
icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 23 October 2023, 17:54

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @EmilyLeDuc 

The cleanest way to update the status of your pre-sync opt-ins is to export/re-import them into Klaviyo as follows. 

1- Create a segment with the criteria shown below. That segment will include those who have opted-in via Shopify but have never subscribed to a Klaviyo list. Then export that segment as a csv. 

2- If your Klaviyo subscriber list is set to double-opt-in, temporarily set to single opt-in for the next step. 

3- Import your opt-in segment from step 1 into your Klaviyo subscriber list, remembering to check 'Yes, update subscription status for all imported contacts to subscribed' during the import.

To answer your other questions:

1 - Yes, a Shopify opt-in will be captured as an opt-in in Klaviyo, and the contact will be pushed to the list you designated in the sync settings

2 - Opt-ins and opt-outs should be explicit. So a contact has to take action to subscribe - filling out a form, checking a consent box etc. Equally, they need to take action to opt-out if they have previously opted-in. Therefore, once a contact opts-in to marketing via Shopify or Klaviyo, they will remain opted-in until they actively unsubscribe i.e they click an unsubscribe link in an email, or you manually suppress them at their request.  

Hope that helps

Andy

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @EmilyLeDuc ,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked if you have double opt-in enabled on your Klaviyo account? This can be a common cause for discrepancies between Shopify and Klaviyo email subscribers. There is a great thread that reviews this in detail here: 

With regards to your other questions…

1. Now that I’ve selected ‘sync my Shopify email subscribers to Klaviyo’ and selected a list, when a customer subscribes through checkout on Shopify, will they automatically be subscribed and added to the list I indicated in Klaviyo? 

Yup! This will be automatically synced to collect this subscription status in Klaviyo. 

1. How do I integrate Shopify unsubscribes to Klaviyo? For example, if someone who is subscribed to email then later indicates at checkout that they don’t want to receive promotional emails, how would that unsubscribe pass to Klaviyo? Everything that I’ve read says that data doesn’t pass to Klaviyo. 

When someone unsubscribes within Klaviyo, it will not affect their profile in Shopify, regardless of whether you have the option to sync data back to Shopify enabled.

In the example you gave, a user would not be marked as unsubscribed in Klaviyo just because they did not opt-in for email marketing at checkout. If a profile has Never Subscribed, and is also not a member of any lists, they were likely added to Klaviyo due to general engagement with your brand (i.e. made a purchase)

These profiles may have “implicit consent” depending on your local regulations, meaning you may be permitted to email them. They are eligible for campaign and flow emails, but we recommend exercising caution when contacting them. Make sure you’re only sending them emails you know they’ll be interested in, like abandoned cart flow messages or follow-up information from a recent order.

You can read more about this here: Understanding active email profiles in Klaviyo

--

Hope this helps!

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @Ashley I. 

Regarding your statement:

When someone unsubscribes within Klaviyo, it will not affect their profile in Shopify, regardless of whether you have the option to sync data back to Shopify enabled.”

I just tested this to double-check my earlier comment and when a contact subscribes/unsubscribes in Klavyo with sync enabled, their subscription status is updated in Shopify accordingly. 

Regards

Andy

Badge +1

3- Import your opt-in segment from step 1 into your Klaviyo subscriber list, remembering to check 'Yes, update subscription status for all imported contacts to subscribed' during the import.

Where do I find the option 'Yes, update subscription status for all imported contacts to subscribed?'

That does not seem to exist within my optoins.

thank you,

Steve 

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @2002faq!

Per this Help Center article, this option is only available if you have explicit permission from everyone in your list to send email marketing.

Best,

Brian