Solved

Shopify Abandon Cart

• 19 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
  • Active Contributor I
  • 11 replies

Hello! I’ve been reading quite a bit about Shopify vs Klaviyo’s Abandon Cart. To clarify, this is not Abandon Checkout, but using the Abandon Cart as the trigger.

What’s the core difference between using Shopify’s or Klaviyo’s Abandon Cart other than Klaviyo’s more customizable designs?

For example, in Shopify’s Abandon Cart, does the customer need to have subscribed to emails or does this get triggered if the customer inputs their email on the checkout page (not subscribed), but has not continued onto shipping?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Akers Digital 24 July 2023, 23:20

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @jtao23 

Thank you for your question - and a great one at that!

I personally use Klaviyo for all clients regarding Cart Abandonment due to it’s abundance of features of flexibility it provides over and above the other option.

Here are few I can name;

• Conditional break down on cart size, product, delivery country for example
    This allows you to provide a different message, content or offer based on the above. 
  • Design
    As you have mentioned, the design capabilities in Klaviyo are vast, and as part of this, means you can keep your communications inline with your brand and style, but also to the point above, based on the properties of the customer and their cart, you may change the design
  • Control and flexibility
    This is endless, from the conditions, triggers, design, content, timing, flow path ways etc
  • Integration with other Apps, ie; Reviews
    If you are using a Review app that also integrates with Klaviyo (for example - does not need to be Reviews, but is a good example in this instance) you can bring this content into your emails automatically
  • SMS + Email
    The flexibility to add and use SMS with your Email Flow. If you are using SMS as part of your Abandon Cart strategy, it is best practice if you can unite these two communications in one journey and choose when is the optimal time for targeting such communications
  • Future segmentation
    Being able to segment and target customers with other campaigns or flows in Klaviyo based on the action of an Abandon Cart
  • Reporting
    The amount of reporting available to you and the insight it provides allows you to make other business decisions and drive other initiatives

I hope this was able to give you some insight into helping make a decision

Any questions - please let me know

Kylie 

Badge +2

Hey Kylie: Great to meet you! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond in detail. Very helpful and I agree on all points.

I assume the way Shopify triggers an Abandon Cart is the same as Klaviyo? I’ve read some where it gets triggered when the email is inputted on the first checkout page where as Klaviyo the customer need to the Continue to Payment page. Is this the case?

Appreciate your help!

Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @jtao23!

To add to @Kylie W’s great response, Klaviyo’s abandoned cart flows (when integrated with Shopify) are triggered by the Added to Cart metric, which triggers when someone adds an item to their cart but doesn't place an order. If you are using Shopify or BigCommerce, you will need to set up this metric manually:

Best,

Brian

Badge +2

Thanks Brian. I understand the Added to Cart trigger, but was curious when Shopify recognizes the trigger (at the time someone inputs email or when they hit continue to checkout). 

Minor detail, but that helps to determine if the user moved onto the payment phase.

Bigger question is can you capture someone who simply inputs email, then drops AND if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Thanks @Brian Turcotte for the additional info!

@jtao23 searching Shopify for this info, I have found this post that may help you 😊
https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/what-is-the-actual-trigger-for-an-quot-abandoned-cart-quot/td-p/1572554

Hope this helps!

Kylie

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey @jtao23 ,

Great question. Shopify historically doesn’t actually do Abandoned Cart, just Abandoned Checkout. Do you have access to Shopify’s new Automations? Is that where you’re seeing abandoned cart?

Shopify’s Abandoned Checkout triggers when someone enters their email address within the checkout screen, which is the same trigger that Klaviyo uses. Below is a screenshot that shows the order emails from Shopify. On Shopify’s home screen, they often give stats/messaging around abandoned cart. However, if you click through any of those stats you’ll see they are actually talking about abandoned checkout, kind of confusing how they message it for sure. 

Klaviyo’s abandoned cart flow uses a seperate trigger and only works with certain cart types. If you’re setting up this flow, also make sure your Browse Abandonment flow is excluding cart & checkout abandonment so you’re not sending multiple emails. 

Badge +2

Hey @Akers Digital Thanks for the detailed response and the reference image! That does make sense.

Ya, I noticed the Abandoned Cart in the marketing automations Shopify setup. To date though, I’m not getting any emails sent from Abandoned Cart, but I am through Abandoned Checkout, which follows what you mentioned.

I believe Klaviyo’s Abandoned Cart only works if you’re subscribed (recognized profile) and active on the site.

Appreciate the input! I’ll continue to use the Abandon flows through Klaviyo.

Thanks

Joe

Badge +2

Thanks @Brian Turcotte for the additional info!

@jtao23 searching Shopify for this info, I have found this post that may help you 😊
https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/what-is-the-actual-trigger-for-an-quot-abandoned-cart-quot/td-p/1572554

Hope this helps!

Kylie

Thanks again Kylie. I’ll be sure to review.