Solved

Add new top-of-funnel subscribers to general list or special ToF list?

• 22 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi - 

Looking for advice about the best way to handle a top-of-funnel lead magnet please and thank you. 

I'm creating a top-of-funnel email marketing flow. It will kick off with a visitor submitting an embedded form on a specific landing page. 

We get their email address and send an email with a link to a PDF download. They'll get a few more emails over several days aimed at introducing and explaining a product they've expressed interest in. 

I have a general subscriber list in my Shopify site and send email to it weekly. But I'm thinking it's better to separate the email addresses I collect thru this ToF form into a separate list. Is this correct? Or is it better to create a ToF segment in my general subscriber list and send this particular flow only to the ToF folks - and then switch them all to be general subscribers once the flow is completed?

We have a discount teaser running on our site that subscribes people to our general list. I can imagine that a ToF subscriber might subscribe to the general list. If we set this up with two lists, is it better to stop sending these new general list subscribers the ToF email flow? Or just let them get both types of emails and they can unsubscribe from one or the other as they choose?

Ultimately we want the ToF folks to subscribe to our general list. And buy things! So another idea is to just send the ToF folks the one email with the link to download the PDF, and then they just become general list subscibers.

I dunno. What's a best practice for this type of situation please?

Thanks for any/all advice!

icon

Best answer by Ashley I. 23 April 2024, 16:24

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @LB3000,

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for this awesome question regarding your top-of-funnel marketing strategy. You bring up some great points here:

1. Is it better to collect subscribers in a separate list, or the master list?
In the case of Lists, more is not always more. The general best practice would be to collect all email subscribers into one master list, and use Segments to group users together based on shared Profile information. In your particular case, you can build a segment for users who joined the list after submitting your ToF form, and then use a segment-triggered flow to send them personalized messages. You can read more about List best practices here:

2. Can I prevent subscribers from one Sign-up Form from receiving a welcome discount code?

If you don’t want the users who received the PDF download to also receive the discount promotion, then you can add a conditional split to the top of this flow that would exclude those who submitted the ToF Sign-Up Form from receiving the message with the discount. It would look a little something like this:

Here, only the users who filled out the ToF from (as noted by $consent_form_id metric) would receive the PDF download. All other subscribers would go down the path that includes the standard discount. And this is done using one master List. 

After the first email goes out with the relevant sign-up incentive, you can then send both types of subscribers the remaining emails in your Welcome Series. There’s another great thread on this here:

3. Is it better to send 1 email or a multi-email flow?
I find that performance of a multi-email flow almost always exceeds the performance of a single email flow. In either case, whether you have a customer signing up for a PDF download, or for a discount code incentive, you want to keep your brand top-of-mind while they are in that buying headspace. Sending additional emails also gives you the opportunity to collect more information about the subscriber, send them additional details about your brand, and overall serve them relevant content based on their website activity. While there is no magic number for how many emails you should include in a flow, I would encourage you to experiment with 2-3 messages in your Welcome Series that communicate additional benefits, and measure the results to determine what your audience is most receptive to. 

--

Hope this helps! 

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Badge

@Ashley I. Thank you for all of this! Super helpful and clarifying. I’ll give setting all of this up a try! 🤞🏼