Solved

Adding in marketing consent retrospectively

• 18 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi All, the company I've just started at imported contacts without adding in the previously accepted marketing consent. Can I add this in retrospectively? and if so, what timestamp should I add in? The first consent from the previous ESP? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

icon

Best answer by ebusiness pros 19 April 2024, 01:20

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @adamlmiller2121212 - welcome to the community!

That sounds like a frustrating thing to discover when just starting with a new team. The good news is there is a solution to your problem!

I’ve run into this issue before when helping clients migrate to Klaviyo. You’re on the right track - the best thing you can do is import the original consent timestamp into Klaviyo. Then when you’re importing that CSV into your list to add the data to Klaviyo, be sure to check the box that says “yes these people consent to marketing.”

Important detail: Focus on the ACTIVE profiles in Klaviyo. Disregard the SUPPRESSED profiles while you’re doing this work. If someone is suppressed, that means they unsubscribed or had a hard bounce, and that change in consent status should be maintained. 

So you’d export email addresses of only active profiles from Klaviyo, ensure your CSV with consent timestamp data matches those email addresses, and then prepare a CSV for import like this help doc example shows. https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005078967#h_01HB678Y7ZQH715HCNZ8C6M0BH

Make sure you have a row to hold the consent timestamp data, as well as any additional data points you want to be associated with those profiles in Klaviyo, and then import that CSV into your primary list!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Badge

Hi Gabrielle, This is great, thank you very much for this. I’ll let you know how I go

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

You’re welcome @adamlmiller2121212!

Here’s another insider tip that can help you have a quick win with this new role. When my agency does list cleaning for our clients, we use this tool called Emailable to “vet” emails. 

You could do that with the CSV you export from Klaviyo, before adding the consent timestamp data. It will help you quickly identify any “undeliverable” emails that you should suppress. This will support deliverability and improve the health of the list. 

There’s more you could do with emails flagged as “risky” or “unknown” and Emailable has lots of helpful documentation that could help you decide the best course of action there for your list. 

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Badge

Thank you so much Gabrielle!