Solved

Best way to consolidate custom properties

• 15 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

What is the best way to consolidate custom properties? We have 3 different properties set for the same purpose (signing up for a particular segment of our list).

Example:

• One previous ESP property is set as a tag
  • Another previous ESP property is set as a AB custom property
  • New subscribers with Klaviyo have XY custom property. This is the one we would want the other two to “populate.”

They all mean the same thing, but it’s cumbersome setting up segments for them because you have to include all of the options. It would also be cleaner to have everyone with the same customer properties overall.

I realize a CVS export/import is probably the way to go, but I’m not sure exactly how to do that in this case.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by David To 15 July 2021, 20:28

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @MVHeather,

Great question!

Your assumption here would be correct. Using an exported .CSV and importing it back into Klaviyo would be the best solution for this.

In a case like this, I would recommend creating a segment with the rules: Properties about someone, CUSTOM_PROPERTY equals “previous ESP property is set as a tag” OR Properties about someone, CUSTOM_PROPERTY equals “previous ESP property is set as a AB custom property”. You can then go ahead and export this segment of customers. Within the resulting .CSV though, I would suggest adding a new column to the .CSV with the header of the “Klaviyo XY custom property” and value. Once completed, you can import this list back into Klaviyo  which would apply this Klaviyo XY custom property and value to these contacts. 

This would allow you to then create a segment while filtering for the Klaviyo XY custom property to return all of these customers highlighted in your example. In additional, if you need a custom profile property purged from your account such as these properties from your previous ESP, you can reach out to support to have this accomplished. 

I would also suggest taking a look at the following Klaviyo Help Center Articles for more details pertaining to Klaviyo properties and how to updates profile properties similar to the strategy mentioned above:

Thanks for being Klaviyo Community member!

David