Skip to main content

Hi guys,

We recently migrated to Klaviyo and been trying to do a list cleaning from the old database, the account is already linked and integrated with Shopify. Is there a best way to identify profiles for suppression?

I am trying to create a segment with the below conditions for suppression:

May I know if its OK? Thank you for the advice!

Hi @LNL 

Thank you for posting in the Community!

If you still have access to your old ESP I would recommend you to set up a segment there with inactive profiles. Then you can export this list with a custom property assigned to the list and then import these to Klaviyo. Then create a segment where is property is set for example: “Inactive” = “True” and then hit the manual “Supress current members” of that segment.

For now, when you have just recently migrated you might have a hard time identifying inactive members as you only have recent data available, so this would be how I would go about it.

I hope this helps!

Hi @LNL 

I agree with @annasophiefc that you will be suppressing potentially valuable prospects unless you have the relevant data from your old ESP to determine if they are “unengaged”.

I would also not recommend using your criteria to identify those unengaged profiles for suppression. For example, just because a profile has neither viewed a product, added to the cart (or started checkout), or purchased, doesn’t mean they should be suppressed - they may take those actions at some point! Even using active onsite may include profiles opening your emails but have yet to click.

The profiles you should be looking to identify are those not engaging with your emails/SMS. It’s pointless to continue sending to them, and doing so hits your Klaviyo engagement metrics and can damage your sender reputation. 

As a starting point, you could consider a segment:

• Received email is at least X times over Y weeks AND 
  • Opened Email zero times in the last Y weeks AND 
  • Clicked Email zero times in the last Y weeks

X and Y are dependent on how often you send emails.

Hope that helps

Andy