Solved

Blanks in Profile Custom Fields

• 2 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How do you get Klaviyo to add a custom field even if you don’t presently have data for it?   Or, if a field had data and then it’s gone (such as someone having a second address line, then they move and no longer need the second address line), how do you replace it with a blank?

We have a field where we are entering a date for an accomplishment completed, but we want that field there before they achieve the accomplishment.   

The way Klaviyo handles it now is if we update the profile with that field but it’s blank, the field is not added to the custom profile, which means we don’t have a value or non-value to use for our decisions and reports.

icon

Best answer by rlscsi 5 October 2023, 15:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @rlscsi we face this often as well, many of our clients want to use our custom properties and events for Instagram mentions etc, and the only way we know of is to do a test submission or test event that pre-syncs the data to Klaviyo. Are you able to do that for your use-case?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We maybe could? But right now, since we just switched hosting providers, we’re experiencing CORS blocks.   How do we add our IP’s or domains so they are no longer in error per CORS ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @rlscsi sorry thats a bit outside my knowledge - i’m hoping the changes just needed some time to propagate - are you still experiencing this issue? please open a new topic so someone with this experience can see it and reply.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I found that when you submit a custom field with a blank value for the first time, that custom field will not be added to that profile.

If you have a value in a custom field and attempt to replace it with a blank, such as when someone changes their address and no longer needs the address2 field, Klaviyo will not over-write the contents with a blank, so the old data will remain.

You must enter a value of some kind, such as n/a.   Klaviyo really needs the ability to accept either a blank or a NULL value and honor it.