Solved

Bold Subscription Integration

• 9 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hi all! On my webshop it is possible for customers to buy my product as a subscription. I work with Bold Subscription plug in to process these automatic orders. I want to be able to send email explicitly to subscribers or be able to exclude them sometimes from the buyers list, but till today I haven’t found a way how to make a segment/tag on how to separate subscribers from one time purchasers. I have reached out to Bold, Klaviyo and Shopify, but I was always told that this is a topic ‘the other party’ has to help me with… 

Has anyone experience setting up such a segment?

icon

Best answer by Dov 9 November 2021, 16:23

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @RubenRR,

Welcome to the Klaviyo community. I’m sorry to hear you’ve had trouble pinning down a definite response so far. Let me try to explain this as best as I can.

First, Bold isn’t a platform that Klaviyo natively integrates with, but rather, it was built using our open API by Bold. For that reason, we don’t have Klaviyo documentation so I’m using Bold's documentation to guide this solution. So first, here are the metrics (events) that they send to Klaviyo:

• Started Checkout
  • Add Shipping Info
  • Successful Subscription
  • Cancelled Subscription

Once these events are passed from Bold to Klaviyo, it is simple enough to use the Successful Subscription metric: What somebody has done (or not done) > Successful Subscription > at least once > over all time. Therefore, the easiest solution to message new subscribers would be to trigger a Klaviyo flow off of Successful Subscription, then you can automatically email anyone who subscribes to a product.

Additionally, If you add a flow filter to that flow, “Skip anyone who has been in this flow > over all time”, you can ensure that users will only go through this subscription flow once instead of every time they subscribe to a product. You’ll find more on Klaviyo filters here.

You can also use this metric (Successful Subscription) to exclude users from a buyers list. For example, creating a segment: If somebody is (or is not) in a list > is in buyers list AND What somebody has done (or not done) > Successful Subscription > zero times > over all time. That will produce a segment of users who are in this list but have never subscribed to a product and you can send a campaign to that segment.

So it is simple enough to separate people who have subscribed from regular buyers based on this metric and send them campaign or flow email(s).

The other factor to consider is capturing active subscribers. It doesn’t appear that Bold has a way to capture people currently subscribed and using the metric for “successful subscription” would only track users who have subscribed at some point. In place or in addition to the above segment definition, you can use: What somebody has done (or not done) > Successful Subscription > at least once > over all time AND What somebody has done (or not done) > Cancelled Subscription > zero times > over all time. That will produce a segment of users who have started but never cancelled their subscription. However, it doesn’t necessarily capture active subscribers. For example, if someone starts a subscription, cancels and then starts a net-new subscription they would be an active subscriber but not in this segment.

If capturing active subscribers is a must, you may want to look into our integration with Recharge. Recharge tracks active subscribers under the “Shopify Tags” custom property on the profile:

• Active Subscriber: Shopify customers who have an active subscription to at least one item
  • Inactive Subscriber: Shopify customers who do not have an active subscription

Since this is Shopify data, these tags are sent over to Klaviyo via Shopify integration. This data can be used to segment active or inactive ReCharge customers in Klaviyo.

Bold’s documentation doesn’t appear to include a similar functionality to Recharge (sending over custom properties for active subscribers). If you’d like to stick with Bold, the metrics will still come in handy for sending flows and certain campaign emails as long as an active subscription isn’t a requirement. In other words, these metrics are great for capturing new subscribers or people who have subscribed at some point and maybe cancelled and also for separating subscribed users from non-subscribed users. Alternatively to Recharge, you can look into sending over custom properties for active subscribers (and segment based on active subscriptions) using our Identify API. If you’d like further assistance with using our API, I’d recommend reaching out to one of our wonderful partners.

Thanks and I hope that was helpful