Solved

building email list without sending emails

• 29 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello! I’m currently using Substack for my newsletter and I am very happy with it but of course it does not do hardly any segmentation. I’d like to keep a list on Klaviyo as well because I hope to open a Shopify store at some point and will use my list for that. I understand that on the free plan you have:

• Starting at 500 monthly email sends

Does this mean that if I do not send any emails I can include unlimited contacts? Or does it mean I will need a paying plan once I reach 500 contacts even if I do not send anything out.

Once I open my store in about a year I will be sending emails and will be happy to pay for a plan. The reason I am waiting is that I am writing a book which will not be out for several more months. I hope this is not too confusing.

Thanks! Lora

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 29 August 2023, 11:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi Lora

The pricing is based on the number of emails (or SMS) you can send within a month. If you hit the monthly limit then messages in flows will stop until the next biling cycle (or if you upgrade). You’ll also be prompted to upgrade when sending a campaign that exceeds your plan’s limits.

So, you can add active profiles beyond the limits of your current Klaviyo plan but you’ll only be able to email up to the plan’s monthly email send limit.

My only question is why you would want to upload contacts (profiles) in Klaviyo now if you do not intend to use Klaviyo for email capture, campaigns, and flows just yet?

When you flip to Klaviyo and import your contact list, ensure you also export your Substack suppression list and import that into Klaviyo’s suppression list.

Good luck with your book!

Regards

Andy 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello Bluesnapper!

Thank you for your response. So to confirm, 

"you can add active profiles beyond the limits of your current Klaviyo plan but you’ll only be able to email up to the plan’s monthly email send limit."

So I can add as many "profiles" as I like. And I can "segment" the list ie friends, customers etc as long as I don't send anything to anyone?

To answer your question:
"My only question is why you would want to upload contacts (profiles) in Klaviyo now if you do not intend to use Klaviyo for email capture, campaigns, and flows just yet?..."

My answer is that I am using Substack for my monthly newsletter to promote my upcoming book, and they have their own ecosystem that encourages subscribers and I like their platform. However Substack has essentially zero segmentation. Once the book comes out and I start selling it and other merch, I'll want to use Shopify and segment my list. So at that point I'll probably start sending out emails from Klaviyo or use both platforms. Hopefully at that point I'll have lots of subscribers and I'll be happy to pay the monthly fee. Does it make sense or am I missing something here?

Thanks again for your response!
Lora
Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @arbrador 

So I can add as many "profiles" as I like. And I can "segment" the list ie friends, customers etc as long as I don't send anything to anyone?

Yes. I have Klaviyo accounts that are over the profile limit. No issues so long as the campaigns/flows don’t exceed my monthy email send limit. They are paid accounts but hopefully it’s the same for a free one.

To your other point about maintaining SubStack and Klaviyo independently, only you know the details of what you want to achieve. If you’re not intending to capture or send anything via Klaviyo until you flip from SubStack, seems to me to be easier to wait until you do before you import contacts. However, I guess you may be wanting to segment in Klaviyo, if only for your own interest, or to export those segments to Substack.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Andy   

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks everyone! I already read these responses but Klaviyo emailed them to me again today.