Solved

Building Purchaser Segment by Product - Any way to not have to select each item?

• 17 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

My company offers a TON of different variations of products. While we only have about 3 different categories of products, we have maybe 30-40 different item names within each category (for things like different variety packs, sizes, subscriptions come in as a different item name).

My issue is when I go to build a segment of purchasers for a specific category. If I use the “Placed Order” at least once, then I use “where name contains” then I have select every single item one by one that belongs in my segment for that category.
Its even worse if I tried to use the “Ordered Product” metric where I would have to pick one item at a time and then use the “or” feature.
I am aware I could also use a collection to filter, which would be my best bet. However, a different member of my team manages collections and not all products in the category all always in the same collection. Even if I resolved that going forward, it doesn’t solve the need to look back at people who have already purchased.

What I really wish was that if the placed order where name contains allowed you to just put in a word instead of having to pick each product. For example, if my product category was laptops, I could say “placed order at least once where the product name contained ‘laptop’”. Instead of needing to pick every single laptop product individually.

icon

Best answer by Manny Singh 18 February 2022, 05:16

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Hi Michael, I went the collections route on our site.  We were able to classify everything into custom collections (wasn’t too bad - large SKU count site).  Curious, where will you be using this segment? Post--purchase flow?

Also, what did you mean by this line? 

“Even if I resolved that going forward, it doesn’t solve the need to look back at people who have already purchased”

Badge +3

Hi Manny,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my delayed response. 

Agreed collections would be the best to solve, I’ll have to work with my team. When you say custom collections, did you create collections specifically do be used for your Klaviyo data?

I’m mostly using this type of data for both post-purchase flows like you mentioned, but also to help report internally to my leadership team on the size of customer segments who have purchased specific products. The reporting piece is my biggest struggle.

What I meant by that line was that looking back in time for reporting purposes, even if I create new collections now, the people who purchased at a previous moment in time, won’t have that collection assigned to their order. (that’s at least my understanding)