Solved

Can I Emailing Old Subscriber List when rebranding my Company?

• 22 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

We will be renaming our company and changing our url and domain name in a few weeks. Since my email list subscribed knowing the brand as is, can I still email them under this new url/domain without asking their permission and or having them to re sign up to my mailing list?

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 23 February 2022, 16:24

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @Nlevinson

Welcome to the Community! Happy you’re here!

Would love to clarify this more. No, you do not need to ask their permission to be subscribed again or to re-sign up for your mailing list if you have let your subscribers know of your company’s rebrand that is about to happen. However, there are a lot of other things that you will need to do in Klaviyo with regards to this rebrand, especially if you’re changing your url and domain name. We have documentation in our Help Center that will walk you through step-by-step of all that you need to do when Rebranding in Klaviyo, especially things like warming your new sending domain and turning all your flows to manual. 

Thanks for participating in the Community! 

-Taylor 

Badge

Hey everyone, I'm a bit new to the e-commerce space and have an ethical question!

I was wondering if it was ethically okay or made sense to send an email to the customers (not opted-in to receive ‘market emails’) who purchased my products, regarding a new feature of my website. The feature is a community board where the customers who purchased my product can make posts to share the crafts or things they've made using the product with other users. This is a completely free service/platform that I'm providing to create a better user experience and for people with a common hobby to exchange ideas. There will also be free giveaways of merchandise for people who make posts as well. Also, this would be a one-off email, as I’m not planning to anymore features of this sort. What do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Curiosity Made the Cat,

What you’re referring to is profiles with “implicit” consent. We have a guide dedicated to sending to these types of profiles along with best practices. I recommend reviewing that here.

The laws around implied consent vary by country; typically when implied consent is allowed, it is either restricted to a certain time frame (e.g., it’s only good for two years) or in specific circumstances. 

In some cases, international laws will affect email consent. A prime example of this is GDPR, which governs residents of the EU. For information on how to remain compliant and access appropriate consent for EU customers, please see our article on collecting GDPR compliant consent.

I don’t foresee an ethical issue as much as a deliverability/legal one so I wouldn’t advice against sending to these users but do so with caution - taking into account their engagement history since the purchase as well. 

I hope that’s helpful.