Solved

Can You Manually Update "Information > How They Found You" Data?

Badge +1

I know that the profile data under “How They Found You” in the “Information” section is set automatically using utm parameters.

Is there a way to set or update this manually either within a flow or using a bulk sheet?

I can only access “Initial Source” in flows and none of the other properties (Medium, Campaign, Content, Term).

I can export all the properties (Initial Source, Initial Source Medium, etc etc) in a bulk export. But when I try to change them by uploading… I’m unable to map the properties.

icon

Best answer by Dov 20 May 2022, 16:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @alan-chippin,

Thanks for sharing this question with us.

You are correct, while those properties are available for export, you are not able to override them through an upload (or otherwise). This is done to maintain the integrity of the actual initial sources of those profiles.

I hope that’s helpful. 

Badge +1

@Dov my followup question… can you confirm that ONLY initial source is available for use to define segments or filtering in flows? (I don’t see initial medium/campaign/content/term available)

If so, why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @alan-chippin,

Thanks for your reply.

It’s a little confusing so allow me to explain.

You will have the option to use properties about someone > Initial Referring Domain. In practice, this refers to the “Source” property under “How They Found You”.

You will also have the option to use properties about someone > Initial Source. In practice, this refers to the “Campaign” value under “How They Found You”.

While it’s not possible to override those existing values, you can export them and re-upload the data from the “How They Found You” section as discrete custom properties (instead of as elements within the How They Found You Section of the profile). 

Once these exists as their own custom properties on the profiles within your account, you would be able to build a segment or use flow filters based on them.

I hope that’s helpful.